Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reavertm
    replied
    So C++ committee still taking low hanging syntax fruits and no modules support yet.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Will it be possible to add separate checking in future revisions of the concepts feature in the C++ standard?
    it is not clear whether it will be possible to do it at all(concepts are in development for more than 10 years), but there is still hope
    LOL
    if you find it easy, feel free to participate

Leave a comment:

• plonoma
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    some people wanted to leave concepts out of standard until they get separate checking support. majority decided it is better to have { concepts without separate checking now } than { no concepts at all for indefinite amount of time }
    Will it be possible to add separate checking in future revisions of the concepts feature in the C++ standard?

because it is hard
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Then what's with all the talk about separate checking in the blog posts?
    some people wanted to leave concepts out of standard until they get separate checking support. majority decided it is better to have { concepts without separate checking now } than { no concepts at all for indefinite amount of time }
    Why didn't they add separate checking if they have time enough?
    because it is hard
    Last edited by pal666; 18 July 2017, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• plonoma
    replied
    you are getting wrong impression. they are merging already implemented and tested TSes. non-ts features are trivial additions
    Then what's with all the talk about separate checking in the blog posts?
    Why didn't they add separate checking if they have time enough?

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    if you read it carefully, you will not find mentioning of "plan of merging cairo into stdlib", you will find plan to base 2d graphics ts on cairo, just as i said
    I hope they don't do that. The code they have is not generic enough, it is based on how all 2d rendering has looked the last 10 years, but it is lacking modern features like 16-bit per color, gamma-correction, HDR and color-spaces.

First they will need to make it a lot more generic which will make it hard to base on existing code, because all those features have not even been solved in Skia yet, let alone cairo.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I'm getting the impression the standards committee is trying to cram too much new specifications and material into an insufficiently large time-frame.
    you are getting wrong impression. they are merging already implemented and tested TSes. non-ts features are trivial additions
    It would be better to put the new standard version in 2022-2023.
    it would be another c++0x-kind disaster. committee is smarter than you, they develop features in parallel in tses and then merge ready ones into trunk
    (A lot of the new stuff touches the standard libraries in huge, deep and drastic ways.)
    most of new stuff is libraries and somehow both java and c# managed to get orders of magnitude larger libraries in shorter timeframe
    Last edited by pal666; 17 July 2017, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Maybe they can add that feature later?
    maybe. it is not easy endeavor. at least in the meantime we have other concepts features, just nine years after c++11. btw, c++11 became c++11 instead of c++0x due to concepts
    Last edited by pal666; 17 July 2017, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by stephen82 View Post
    There was, at least back in 2013-2014.

https://lists.cairographics.org/arch...er/024858.html
    if you read it carefully, you will not find mentioning of "plan of merging cairo into stdlib", you will find plan to base 2d graphics ts on cairo, just as i said

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "in good state thanks to stl".
    i mean that stl is doing good job maintaining ms c++ standard library. stl is a person ( https://nuwen.net/stl.html )
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    MSVC is always years behind competitors.

Frankly, I'd imagine that's why they've started adopting clang into VC++ IDE.
    clang(and msvc for that matter) is a compiler while i was talking about library
    Last edited by pal666; 17 July 2017, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X