Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++20 Feature Talk Heats Up At Latest C++ ISO Meeting

Phoronix: C++20 Feature Talk Heats Up At Latest C++ ISO Meeting

Herb Sutter has once again provided a nice recap of the latest ISO C++ standards meeting that just wrapped up in Toronto...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

C++20: Unicode, Dates, Networking, Filesystem....

Implemented on every platform by 2023 ;-)
    Syntax sweeteners are nice but those (very basic) standard libraries are two decades late!

Cool to finally have them, not too early.
    Last edited by wagaf; 16 July 2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post

Syntax sweeteners are nice but those (very basic) standard libraries are two decades late!

Cool to finally have them, not too early.
      Yes, finally! I wish the plan of merging cairo into stdlib was mentioned...

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post

unsmart joke, of three major compilers only msvc doesn't ship full implementation of standard on same year these days and only of core language features, msvc library (and those are library features) is in good state thanks to stl

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          Yes, finally! I wish the plan of merging cairo into stdlib was mentioned...
          there was no such plan. cairo was inspiration of api of 2d graphics ts, but now i heard they are switching to stateless api

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            unsmart joke, of three major compilers only msvc doesn't ship full implementation of standard on same year these days and only of core language features, msvc library (and those are library features) is in good state thanks to stl
            Not sure what you mean by "in good state thanks to stl". MSVC is always years behind competitors. Frankly, I'd imagine that's why they've started adopting clang into VC++ IDE.
            Last edited by computerquip; 17 July 2017, 12:47 AM. Reason: Didn't mean library, meant msvc in general as far as standard conformancy.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              there was no such plan. cairo was inspiration of api of 2d graphics ts, but now i heard they are switching to stateless api
              There was, at least back in 2013-2014.

Comment

Going through the following blog post:
                What's in C++20 and the C++17 final score card: A report from Kona and look at the Toronto C++ meeting
                Posted on July 10, 2017 by Michael Wong.

Despite the lack of separate checking, I predict the current Concept will be incorporated into C++20 once all the defects are processed this year or next.
                I wish they would have implemented separate checking.
                Having a guarantee certain errors or kinds of errors being caught is a wonderful thing to have in a programming language.
                A pity C++20 won't have this.

Maybe they can add that feature later?

Comment

I'm getting the impression the standards committee is trying to cram too much new specifications and material into an insufficiently large time-frame.
                  It would be better to put the new standard version in 2022-2023.
                  (A lot of the new stuff touches the standard libraries in huge, deep and drastic ways.)

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    Not sure what you mean by "in good state thanks to stl".
                    i mean that stl is doing good job maintaining ms c++ standard library. stl is a person ( https://nuwen.net/stl.html )
                    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    MSVC is always years behind competitors.

Frankly, I'd imagine that's why they've started adopting clang into VC++ IDE.
                    clang(and msvc for that matter) is a compiler while i was talking about library
                    Last edited by pal666; 17 July 2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X