D Language Front-End Proposed For GCC 8, 800k Lines of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Any option to use automatic reference-counting as a first resort, before falling back to GC? This is how Perl and Python work. This should not be as cache-hostile as insisting on pure GC.
    There a couple of options here.
    1) Idiomatic D code tends to be lazy evaluting which favours stack allocation and is cache friendly.
    2) Doing ARC in a provably safe way is a feature that is currently being worked on this will not fall back automatically to GC but could be done.
    3) There is a standard interface for Allocators (currently experimental) in the standard library. If you write your code using this interface you can start with GC (or malloc) and swap that out for a custom allocation scheme as it becomes clearer what your requirements are in a clean way. This will probably be the way to do things going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Is it me or has D's opportunity for success passed slready? Serious question here as C++ has been vastly improved for the old guard and the newer generation of developers has better languages to choose from. A GC just seems to be D's biggest downfall for the areas it seems to be targetted at.
      Maybe.
      From what I can see though, D is both more powerful and easier to use when it comes to compiletime generated code. D is easy for a C/C++ coder to pick up and writing bad code in C++ is significantly easier. C++ and Rust are a good match for a team of expert programmers, D is going to cause less problems if your team is of mixed ability. The GC is one of the biggest problem for me too but I am pretty happy with the new Allocator interface and can see that as a way forward.

Comment

I am not sure anyone mentioned it yet but the most interest feature of D to me is metaprogramming (code that generated code). C++ supports template meta-programming but it's not pretty and it's more limited than D's metaprogramming.

See

and the "Metaprogramming" section in the link below for more info.

Comment

Working...
        X