Artanis: GNU Gets Into Web Application Frameworks, Written In Guile Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Raise your hand if you think that code is readable. You get to vote a second time if you can understand what it does (without reading the article).
    I learn and forget lisp every few years. And while I still dislike it, I could always understand these small pieces of hello world without any effort.

Regardless, still better then javascript.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

I learn and forget lisp every few years. And while I still dislike it, I could always understand these small pieces of hello world without any effort.

Regardless, still better then javascript.
      I can understand it, too, but not without effort. It's like I have to switch into a special mode for parsing Lisp dialects.
      Fwiw I don't have a problem with functional, I know it can solve some problems more elegantly. Hopefully in a world of microservices, functional will get more traction.

Comment

Time to rewrite it in Rust!

Comment

couple of dead links but otherwise an interesting piece of soft. guile + guix are the future !

Comment

I can understand it, too, but not without effort. It's like I have to switch into a special mode for parsing Lisp dialects.
            Some reverse-polish notation and Forth will fix that right up

Fwiw I don't have a problem with functional, I know it can solve some problems more elegantly. Hopefully in a world of microservices, functional will get more traction.
            I do. I'm much less productive in them when writing or reviewing. All those fancy one-liners are just a pain to gork. But maybe that's just the kind of code I'm doing. If it's your 10th server-side web app this year, they might keep things interesting at least... Don't know. Not my job.

Comment

I do. I'm much less productive in them when writing or reviewing. All those fancy one-liners are just a pain to gork. But maybe that's just the kind of code I'm doing. If it's your 10th server-side web app this year, they might keep things interesting at least... Don't know. Not my job.
              I think you can write useful functional code without digging up fancy tricks to make indecipherable short programs.

I like a lot of things in the Scala language, for example. But the standard library and build tools went crazy with operator overloading. I know you can write really complex Scala programs with very small lines-of-code, but there are more symbols than alphanumeric characters in some of it. I can't read it like that.

Comment

Fwiw functional does not automatically mean Lisp. Erlang or Scala look way more readable to me. But yeah, show me a language where you actually can't write monstrosities.

Comment

I got Artanis to work (once I found the git repo) but it throws errors even in the hello world example - not a good first impression with the tutorial having incorrect examples too. Maybe "flask" is better.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                    Time to rewrite it in Rust!
                    to do what? waste time?

Those who became schemers will never rust! Compiled beguiling LISP in a GuixSD is the pinnacle of freesoft!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      What's wrong with Guile? It's fine as far as Scheme goes, has a nice and decently documented C FFI.

So is brainfuck. That doesn't make it good. Why would one use langauage that is meant for abacus-era style of HW, is beyond me.
                      If one needs real language for real solving real problems on real HW with real utilization, there are plenty of compiled languages to go around.

If one needs quick-fix for particular problem, simple one-off scritps etc, there are few nice alternatives. Like Python and Ruby, for example.

Do we really have to have bazillion languages in million projects ?

Guix is written in it.
                      So what ? Portage is written in Bash & Python and it simply won't be good enough for the task until we see nice C/C++ version.

Comment

Working...
                      X