Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 7 Has Been Branched, GCC 8.0 Now On Master

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GCC 7 Has Been Branched, GCC 8.0 Now On Master

    Phoronix: GCC 7 Has Been Branched, GCC 8.0 Now On Master

    The GCC 7 mainline code-base hit the important milestone today of having zero P1 regressions -- issues of the highest priority -- and as such they branched the GCC7 code-base and GCC 7.1 RC1 is then being announced later this week as they prepare for this first stable release of GCC 7...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...GCC-7-Branched

  • #2
    Yay. Time to watch for fun stuff.

    Comment


    • #3
      Gentoo stable just moved to gcc5 and for unstable GCC6 has to be unmasked. https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-devel/gcc

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        Gentoo stable just moved to gcc5 and for unstable GCC6 has to be unmasked. https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-devel/gcc
        I have all my stuff compiled with 6.3.0+ latest isl since it came out.

        Will try 7 as soon as it becomes available.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

          I have all my stuff compiled with 6.3.0+ latest isl since it came out.
          Does graphite actually make a difference? Last time I tried, graphite on mesa caused an ICE,
          and I didn't really notice any improvements, my gut feeling was to the contrary.
          And there's apparently noone in gcc-land that has a good understanding of graphite to
          fix the bugs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mlau View Post

            Does graphite actually make a difference? Last time I tried, graphite on mesa caused an ICE,
            and I didn't really notice any improvements, my gut feeling was to the contrary.
            And there's apparently noone in gcc-land that has a good understanding of graphite to
            fix the bugs.

            Don't know about the difference, didn't care to measure it. I have compiled mesa with gcc-6.3.0+isl-0.18 ( now I have isl-git) with
            flto and graphite optimisations. Will post flags later.




            Comment


            • #7
              OK, I've just recompiled it. I've recompiled mesa-9999 ( from git repo ) with gcc-6.3.0+isl-9999 (=isl-0.18 ebuild that I've tweaked so that it uses isl-git repo).

              CFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread"
              CXXFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread -fpermissive"
              LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O -O3 -pthread -lpthread -march=native -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-flto -Wl,--as-needed -ffat-lto-objects -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"


              Comment


              • #8
                Got 99 regressions but P1 aint' one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  OK, I've just recompiled it. I've recompiled mesa-9999 ( from git repo ) with gcc-6.3.0+isl-9999 (=isl-0.18 ebuild that I've tweaked so that it uses isl-git repo).

                  CFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread"
                  CXXFLAGS="-march=native -pipe -O3 -pthread -lpthread -flto -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-linker-plugin -pipe -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize -pthread -fpermissive"
                  LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O -O3 -pthread -lpthread -march=native -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-flto -Wl,--as-needed -ffat-lto-objects -fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

                  Has mesa become any faster with graphite enabled? I did notice a slight performance improvement with the classic software renderer on a MIPS32 target: glxgears went from 7 to 12 fps due to LTO alone.

                  Also, the ICE I mentioned is in ffmpeg-9999, not mesa

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    WRT to mesa speed, didn't check. It was noticeably faster with flto and since I need aggressive optimisations for flto I thought graphite couldn't hurt, so I added it.

                    You mentioned MIPS32. Which machine have you compiled this for ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X