Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java 9 Tech Preview Planned For Fedora 27

Phoronix: Java 9 Tech Preview Planned For Fedora 27

Fedora developers are planning to be prompt in offering Java 9 on their Linux distribution via OpenJDK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Few things instill "more" confidence than offering a reference implementations as a tech preview.

Also, there are no improvements to GC that I know of, it's just that G1GC is now the default. As for the applet API being deprecated, there's no browser that supports it any longer so even if it was left in place no one could have used it anyway (short of using old browsers).
    The module system is really the highlight of this release.

Comment

I hope Android will be quick to adopt the new changes coming in Java 9.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        They've only just adopted Java 8, so the track record says it will be a while before Java 9. Plus, there's really nothing in Java 9 that's useful to Android. Most of Java 9 is about JVM improvements and Android does not use the JVM. The module system might be a useful under the hood improvement, but at this point no one really knows.

If anything, I'd like to see Android ditch Java and replace it with Go That's not going to happen either.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          If anything, I'd like to see Android ditch Java and replace it with Rust
          Fixed.
          If you ask people to rewrite something, it must be in Rust or you won't be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They've only just adopted Java 8, so the track record says it will be a while before Java 9. Plus, there's really nothing in Java 9 that's useful to Android. Most of Java 9 is about JVM improvements and Android does not use the JVM. The module system might be a useful under the hood improvement, but at this point no one really knows.

If anything, I'd like to see Android ditch Java and replace it with Go That's not going to happen either.
            The HTTP/2 support sounds nice for all those JSON requests against web APIs.

Comment

If I were in you, I'd consider getting this "must update to the latestestestest even if there is no reason to" urge treated as it's not really useful.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Fixed.
                If you ask people to rewrite something, it must be in Rust or you won't be taken seriously.
                I don't know, Rust isn't so high-level so you'd be sacrificing productivity. But I understand where you're coming from.

The HTTP/2 support sounds nice for all those JSON requests against web APIs.
                Java 9 only introduces a programmatic HTTP/2 client (i.e. to be used by Java apps that connect to a HTTP/2 enabled server). I can't find documentation right now, but I'd be surprised if WebView doesn't already know HTTP/2. After all HTTP/2 is Google's own SPDY standardized.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  If I were in you, I'd consider getting this "must update to the latestestestest even if there is no reason to" urge treated as it's not really useful.
                  I wouldn't. Even if there's little to be gained, it's so nice when as a developer you're not limited to the features available 5 years ago...

Edit: brought to you by the guy using (pardon the expression) svn and maven at work.

Comment

write shit once, be shit forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X