No announcement yet.

Caffe2: A New, Open-Source Deep Learning Framework From Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A small clarification: Facebook isn't tracking/affecting everyone. Only the dumbfuck majority.

Also let's not forget about Google. It's also doing a very similar thing with Android, Chrome and its services to show you ads, and the scale is pretty much the same.

Also Microsoft and Apple, although on a smaller-ish scale they are trying hard too.

And many nation's secret services like ahem, USA's?

But still, I know far too many people that don't have a Fb account or have one for "official" things only, and adblockers (that routinely block also Facebook tracking) also are damn common in people I know, so yeah.

As long as the situation stays like this it's probably OK, too much gods fighting each other cancel their powers. If only a few are left, then we can start worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      A small clarification: Facebook isn't tracking/affecting everyone. Only the dumbfuck majority.

Also let's not forget about Google. It's also doing a very similar thing with Android, Chrome and its services to show you ads, and the scale is pretty much the same.

Also Microsoft and Apple, although on a smaller-ish scale they are trying hard too.

And many nation's secret services like ahem, USA's?

But still, I know far too many people that don't have a Fb account or have one for "official" things only, and adblockers (that routinely block also Facebook tracking) also are damn common in people I know, so yeah.

As long as the situation stays like this it's probably OK, too much gods fighting each other cancel their powers. If only a few are left, then we can start worrying.
      You forgot the CIA or us military or whatever the instances are called that is tapping all information of silicon valley and pretty much the entire world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        Why the fuck do you need an AI for FaceBook mobile app?
        The AI is used for the service back end. George Hotz, who made his name breaking the protections on the iPhone to allow users to customize their devices and install pirated software, used to work for Facebook and according to him they (mis)used machine learning for the purpose of showing people better targeted ads based on what they post there and what kind of ads they click on.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          You forgot the CIA or us military or whatever the instances are called that is tapping all information of silicon valley and pretty much the entire world.
          I've called that with the "secret services" generic name, and cited USA directly as example.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            they (mis)used machine learning for the purpose of showing people better targeted ads based on what they post there and what kind of ads they click on.
            And how is that misuse again? Targeted ads aren't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
              Why the fuck do you need an AI for FaceBook mobile app?
              To do something like face recognition. That makes sense since they can internally mine your relations regardless whether they have facebook or not. I think it was written that they spend 1 second analyzing every photo uploaded to Facebook. Who knows what else they do!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                And how is that misuse again? Targeted ads aren't bad.
                The misuse was George's way of expressing it, not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post

To do something like face recognition. That makes sense since they can internally mine your relations regardless whether they have facebook or not. I think it was written that they spend 1 second analyzing every photo uploaded to Facebook. Who knows what else they do!
                  They also download the photos from your smartphone from the browser and use the data to target ads on you. They do the same with the location.
                  I have a picture of a paint can and then I get ads of different paint cans.
                  I went once in a jewelry store after getting out of the store I was immediately targeted by jewelry store ads.
                  I mean every apps is doing the same, they want to access the camera, the pictures, the phone numbers, microphone,...
                  That's why I loved iOs, because you could buy the apps and while that doesn't meat that you will not be tracked, at least it was less.
                  I wish I could install a different Os on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                    They also download the photos from your smartphone from the browser and use the data to target ads on you. They do the same with the location.
                    I have a picture of a paint can and then I get ads of different paint cans.
                    I went once in a jewelry store after getting out of the store I was immediately targeted by jewelry store ads.
                    I mean every apps is doing the same, they want to access the camera, the pictures, the phone numbers, microphone,...
                    That's why I loved iOs, because you could buy the apps and while that doesn't meat that you will not be tracked, at least it was less.
                    I wish I could install a different Os on my phone.
                    Cyanogenmod (now LineageOS) allows you to deny access to such things to apps. It's called Privacy Guard.

Comment

vBullettin is harassing me, halp! (above this there is a post for boffo that got blocked)

Comment

Working...
                      X