• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

Who seriously uses it?
    I don't know on Linux and macOS. On Linux perhaps its mostly used for hosting web applications written in ASP.NET Core MVC.
    On Windows, I guess everyone will be moving away from .NET to .NET Core.
    The .NET Framework will still be maintained, but the future of .NET is in .NET Core.
    C# is a very nice programming language, and the .NET Core is a very nice framework, so GObject Introspection for .NET Core would be awesome.

It is hard to find developers with experience in Vala, since its a GNOME-only thing, so few people have any interest to learn it.
    C# on .NET Core would be a nice platform for writing GTK+ applications, much nicer than C, Python or Vala.
    Much faster development than C, also much safer and less bugs due to garbage collection.
    Much safer than Python due to static type checking.
    Much more mature, diverse, general and viable than Vala.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The .NET Core framework is a open source cross-platform framework for Linux, macOS and Windows.
    Who seriously uses it?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

Are you kidding? The great advantage of Vala is to avoid a virtual machine, compiling everything to native code, while providing at the same time a very high-level language with automatic memory management and a lot of modern features.

Wait... are you Miguel de Icaza? :P
    Vala is a GNOME-only thing, nobody outside the GNOME community uses it.
    You can do the same using .NET Core by compiling to .NET Native.

No, I am not Miguel de Icaza. :P
    And he was pushing for Mono, a open source third-party .NET implementation when .NET was closed.
    Things have changed since then, Microsoft published the source code for .NET 4.6 under the MIT license.
    Then Microsoft released .NET Core which is a new open source cross-platform framework with native, official support for Linux.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

This is some Windows thing, right?
    No, GObject Introspection is a middleware layer used between C libraries (using GObject) and language bindings. It is used by GNOME so you can code GTK+ in Python through GI.
    So GObject is a GNOME thing, not a Windows though.

The .NET Core framework is a open source cross-platform framework for Linux, macOS and Windows.

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    It would be better to write GObject Introspection (GI) libraries to the .NET Core framework, then you can write .NET core applications in C# using GTK+ over GObject Introspetion.
    Are you kidding? The great advantage of Vala is to avoid a virtual machine, compiling everything to native code, while providing at the same time a very high-level language with automatic memory management and a lot of modern features.

Wait... are you Miguel de Icaza? :P

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    It would be better to write GObject Introspection (GI) libraries to the .NET Core framework, then you can write .NET core applications in C# using GTK+ over GObject Introspetion.
    This is some Windows thing, right?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FishPls
    replied
    It's "dead" in the way that nobody is actively working towards fixing the biggest issues in the language. It's lacking manpower to really do so.

What can I say, have fun ElementaryOS team, they're pretty much the maintainers of Vala at this point. All their applications are written using it, and they lack manpower to support the language too.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    It seems to me like this "dead" language is apparently alive?

I feel like Emmanuele Bassi could have used a better selected description than "dead", because he went on to bitch about his frustrations that the language hadn't progressed as quickly or expanded to complete maturity in the time he expected it to.

I think it's important to know what's important and persue it until the very end. 1.0 and feature completion are hard, but sometimes you gotta grind and not be content until you fully accomplish what you set out to do.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic GNOME's Vala 0.36 Released

GNOME's Vala 0.36 Released

Phoronix: GNOME's Vala 0.36 Released

While some will argue that GNOME's Vala is a "dead" language, there still are active contributors and today they released version 0.36...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X