Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A WebAssembly Back-End For The GNU Toolchain

Phoronix: A WebAssembly Back-End For The GNU Toolchain

The WebAssembly efforts so far have been centered around making use of the LLVM compiler infrastructure, but now there are patches for providing partial WASM support atop the GNU toolchain...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The code for thos experimental work

Comment

Let's just hope it will never hit mainline!

Comment

The day this hits binutils mainline is the day I will go fork binutils-2.28 and never go back. Webassembly, a "curl | sudo bash" built into your browser.

Their next great achievement will be WebBios, a ftp server with password alphabet and username microsoft with direct access to a uefi shell and efibootmanager tools on it. Built directly into the browser. What could possibly go wrong? It would be 1331 for performance optimizations on a hardware access level. You could run programs in the UEFI mode with 1331 performance. /endrant

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
          The day this hits binutils mainline is the day I will go fork binutils-2.28 and never go back. Webassembly, a "curl | sudo bash" built into your browser.
          It is nothing like "curl | sudo bash" you big drama queen. Wasm is compiled and runs in the same sandbox as normal JS. There is nothing here to flip out about.

Comment

Originally posted by sime2009 View Post

It is nothing like "curl | sudo bash" you big drama queen. Wasm is compiled and runs in the same sandbox as normal JS. There is nothing here to flip out about.
            Yea because javascript is so safe. Obivious sarcasm should be obvious and visit those links with a adblocker and with javascript turned off. Javascript is a dangerous thing even if very useful it is also fast if used correctly. So we don't need webassembly because it is bad enough to have non machine language code that can inject assembly at a whim. Now let us jump straight into a precompiled webassembly injecting assem... oh wait I said that already :P. My apologies noob, javascript's memory safety is like "curl | bash" while webassembly's memory safety would be "curl | sudo bash" If they implement the interpreter in rust or in another type safe and memory safe language, get back to me. But as we both know that is not going to happen.

Comment

You should really consider removing the "not" from your username, notanoob.

What you're saying is completely fallacious and if javascript's (ES') memory safety was like "curl | bash" then so would be Web Assembly's. It's running in the same sandbox. It doesn't have more access rights. Unless you specifically run it with chrome privileges, it also doesn't have access to chrome specific code.

As for the Stackoverflow post. That one is specific to the Microsoft runtime implementation. It has nothing to do with ES as a language.

Comment

Working...
              X