Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Developers Experiment With Plumbing Dartlang Into LLVM

Phoronix: Google Developers Experiment With Plumbing Dartlang Into LLVM

It's been a while since last hearing much excitement around Google's Dart programming language that's an alternative to JavaScript. This ECMA-approved language is now being used with IoT devices, can still be source-to-source compiled for JavaScript, and the latest is that the Google developers have been experimenting with wiring it into LLVM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been so excited about Dart... But since Google has officially stopped pushing it as a JavaScript replacement (admittedly a gargantuan task), it has become a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, Dart is (once again) a new programming language without seamless interoperability with the existing ecosystem. This is a serious issue.
      The other serious issue being scripting languages are already a dime a dozen

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, Dart is (once again) a new programming language without seamless interoperability with the existing ecosystem. This is a serious issue.
        I know nothing about it, but the wikipedia page says it compiles into javascript so that shouldn't be a problem. But why, oh why, is it once again not statically typed? Why are people so bothered by static typing, considering how much it helps you with correctness and performance?

Comment

Originally posted by hansg View Post

I know nothing about it, but the wikipedia page says it compiles into javascript so that shouldn't be a problem. But why, oh why, is it once again not statically typed? Why are people so bothered by static typing, considering how much it helps you with correctness and performance?
          It's optionally typed, so that's not really an issue.
          The problem with translating to JS is that you're not seeing the final code while developing and that raises additional issues.
          Also, a page that has been changed used to show that native dart is way faster than JS. That was one of its selling points. You can see a screenshot of one of the graphs on that page here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...han-javascript

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            The problem with translating to JS is that you're not seeing the final code while developing and that raises additional issues.
            In which compiled language do you "see the final code while developing", and what kind of issues do you think it will bring to not see it?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

In which compiled language do you "see the final code while developing", and what kind of issues do you think it will bring to not see it?
              You're right, any compiled language is not what you actually run. But in this case, you see dart which get translated to JS which in turn is interpreted.
              In my cae, it may be because I used Dart a bit before it hit 1.0, but what I saw in Dartium wasn't always what I saw in the browser. And since the browser only got some generated JS, it was impossible to tell what went wrong (or debug). The tooling was otherwise top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I've been so excited about Dart... But since Google has officially stopped pushing it as a JavaScript replacement (admittedly a gargantuan task), it has become a solution in search of a problem.
                Do they have plans for using WebAssembly? With an LLVM front-end for Dart, they could use emscripten to generate wasm.

Comment

Originally posted by ids1024 View Post

Do they have plans for using WebAssembly? With an LLVM front-end for Dart, they could use emscripten to generate wasm.
                  I think the issue is it is hard to do efficient garbage collection with web assembly.

Comment

Working...
                  X