X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Reinventing the wheel in Rust became a real popular sport lately ...
    And i see nothing wrong with it.
    On the contrary.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    There is not bigger ecosystem than C/C++.

They can drop them in C as well. It is as easy as making the decision to drop support of legacy compilers and platforms.

I am not sure what they mean by unit tests to core functions. Can't this be achieved in C? Though is an important enough reason so as to rewrite the whole thing in another language?

LOL. This is the real reason for why they are doing it.
    Please, re-read the article. He never said that Rust has a bigger ecosystem than C/C++, he said it's rapidly GROWING.

Leave a comment:

• LaeMing
    replied
    Projects like this are as much about testing the capabilities of the Rust language as anything. They want to know if they can hit any cases where Rust is deficient in a variety of real-world applications. With a view to improving Rust by fixing any deficiencies found.

Leave a comment:

• dlq84
    replied
    Wow, people on this forum really likes to tell people what they should or shouldn't spend their own time on. I take it your productiveness are superior and you only do stuff that will benefit society, while not doing anything that will satisfy only yourselves.
    Last edited by dlq84; 12 January 2017, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    Porting to Rust gives us lots of opportunities. We can leverage the rapidly-growing crate ecosystem.
    There is not bigger ecosystem than C/C++.

We can drop support legacy compilers and platforms (looking at you, MS-DOS).
    They can drop them in C as well. It is as easy as making the decision to drop support of legacy compilers and platforms.

We can add docstrings and unit tests to core functions that aren’t exposed to elisp.
    I am not sure what they mean by unit tests to core functions. Can't this be achieved in C? Though is an important enough reason so as to rewrite the whole thing in another language?

It’s also a ton of fun.
    LOL. This is the real reason for why they are doing it.

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    I'd rather have a girlfriend/wife than ebb away my life on a project that isn't lacking.
    Who says you can't have both?

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post

My point was that time could be used to work on more important projects instead of re-implementing Rust in emacs.
    Maybe writing Emacs in Rust is the most important project for the person who did it.

Leave a comment:

• cen1
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Well then get to work on a project like this and stop posting on this forum :P see? that was easy.
    My point was that time could be used to work on more important projects instead of re-implementing Rust in emacs.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    I'd rather have a girlfriend/wife than ebb away my life on a project that isn't lacking.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by cen1 View Post
    I wish I had time to waste on projects like this..
    Well then get to work on a project like this and stop posting on this forum :P see? that was easy.
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 12 January 2017, 03:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X