Remacs: Re-Implementing Emacs In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgar444 View Post

To move before or after a character you got to do something!
    In Emacs I am always in insert mode. I can insert at any point just by moving to that point. I can insert before the first character in the buffer by moving there. I can insert after the last character in the buffer by moving there.

In vi/vim you need two different insert modes: one which can insert before the first character in the buffer, but cannot insert after the last character, and one which can insert after the last character, but not before the first one. So you need to press three additional keys to get out of one mode and into the other, in addition to those for moving position.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

In Emacs I am always in insert mode. I can insert at any point just by moving to that point. I can insert before the first character in the buffer by moving there. I can insert after the last character in the buffer by moving there.

In vi/vim you need two different insert modes: one which can insert before the first character in the buffer, but cannot insert after the last character, and one which can insert after the last character, but not before the first one. So you need to press three additional keys to get out of one mode and into the other, in addition to those for moving position.
      Vim modes trade a little abstraction for simpler and faster use fancy features of text editors, for which on emacs you have to play twister on keyboard.

And if one says that he/she just wants to edit text on CLI, like on windows notepad, then these simple minded creatures should just use nano!

Comment

Vim modes trade a little abstraction for simpler and faster use fancy features of text editors, for which on emacs you have to play twister on keyboard.
        I don’t understand what you mean by that. Emacs keystrokes evoke commands, and while not every command is (by default) bound to a keystroke sequence, every command still has a name, and you can always use the name to invoke the command.

There is even a special keystroke prefix--CTRL/H--for all the keystrokes that give you help about keystrokes and commands.

Comment

I don’t understand what you mean by that. Emacs keystrokes evoke commands, and while not every command is (by default) bound to a keystroke sequence, every command still has a name, and you can always use the name to invoke the command.

There is even a special keystroke prefix--CTRL/H--for all the keystrokes that give you help about keystrokes and commands.
          Yeah but practically all the keystrokes have to do some reaching of Ctrl or so, where i can sit comfortably on home rows. The only combo keystrokes that you may have to do is Shift, capital A or @q after qq recording is made.

PS: Tried Ctrl+H, it seems to delete character instead. This flame war is teaching me emacs! ^^
          Last edited by edgar444; 28 January 2017, 05:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Comment

Yeah but practically all the keystrokes have to do some reaching of Ctrl or so, where i can sit comfortably on home rows.
            I don’t understand that objection, either. But then, I can type at well over 40wpm.

PS: Tried Ctrl+H, it seems to delete character instead.
            I get a prompt at the bottom saying “C-h (Type ? for further options)-”. So you type “?”, and you see a list of all the other keystrokes that can follow CTRL/H, along with their functions.

Comment

I don’t understand that objection, either. But then, I can type at well over 40wpm.
              Often reaching for the CRTL key results in RSI (I remapped CTRL to CAPS-lock just in time). Search for emacs pinky.

Comment

Working...
              X