Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Founder, Swift Creator Chris Lattner Is Leaving Apple: Joins Tesla

Phoronix: LLVM Founder, Swift Creator Chris Lattner Is Leaving Apple

Chris Lattner who is known most recently for starting the Swift programming language while most profoundly he is the original creator of LLVM/Clang, is leaving his job at Apple...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I liked him a lot better when he played basketball for Duke.

Comment

Hopefully good for LLVM; we need it ;-)!

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
        Hopefully Apple will continue to bleed the best talent. Mr. Cook is a joke of a CEO, who would want to work for a 3 when he is a 9 or 10? Mediocre management is the norm at Apple.
        I wouldn't say that Cook is a bad manager per say, just not the kind of manager you want running the whole show rather than his area of expertise. The man is well known for being an absolute wizard at managing the generally dull stuff, specially supply chain and inventory which he's gotten to the point where Apple never has more than roughly a week's worth of stock at any given time. After all, Steve Jobs hired him in the first place specifically to take care of the dull stuff like supply chain and inventory management so that he could focus on managing product development.

In my opinion the problem is that with Steve Jobs gone, Apple no longer has a chief whip cracker like him spurring teams to perform at their best at all times. The man was after all a plain and simple sociopath who knew how to get the most out of people and did so even when it required him to verbally abuse them. Cook has instead let the people under him manage themselves and tried to make the company as nice and friendly as possible when it's actually famous for almost being run like a slave labor camp under Jobs. Specially Jonathan Ive has been allowed to have some pretty free range on the iOS device side of things even thou he's an industrial designer, not an engineer or someone who's specialized in user interface design.

So what Apple needs isn't for Cook to resign, but for Cook to find another Jobs-like sociopath who can get the most out of their engineers even if it requires abusing them.
        Last edited by L_A_G; 10 January 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

I wouldn't say that Cook is a bad manager per say, just not the kind of manager you want running the whole show rather than his area of expertise. The man is well known for being an absolute wizard at managing the generally dull stuff, specially supply chain and inventory which he's gotten to the point where Apple never has more than roughly a week's worth of stock at any given time. After all, Steve Jobs hired him in the first place specifically to take care of the dull stuff like supply chain and inventory management so that he could focus on managing product development.

In my opinion the problem is that with Steve Jobs gone, Apple no longer has a chief whip cracker like him spurring teams to perform at their best at all times. The man was after all a plain and simple sociopath who knew how to get the most out of people and did so even when it required him to verbally abuse them. Cook has instead let the people under him manage themselves and tried to make the company as nice and friendly as possible when it's actually famous for almost being run like a slave labor camp under Jobs. Specially Jonathan Ive has been allowed to have some pretty free range on the iOS device side of things even thou he's an industrial designer, not an engineer or someone who's specialized in user interface design.

So what Apple needs isn't for Cook to resign, but for Cook to find another Jobs-like sociopath who can get the most out of their engineers even if it requires abusing them.
          Everything but your Sociopath part is pretty accurate. I speak from being around Steve and no he was not a sociopath. He had extreme expectations of Ph.Ds who make $200k/year and sitting on their asses checking their stock portfolios instead of brainstorming was not someone who would last long at Apple, NeXT or PIXAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
            Hopefully Apple will continue to bleed the best talent. Mr. Cook is a joke of a CEO, who would want to work for a 3 when he is a 9 or 10? Mediocre management is the norm at Apple.
            MS-worshipping is second-worst thing to satanism.

Comment

Oops, there goes the only good software engineer that's worked for apple over the past decade. Poor Apple.

Comment

Good for Tesla. The more experienced guys they can get the better. Wouldn't be very nice to have buggy self-driving cars.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  Oops, there goes the only good software engineer that's worked for apple over the past decade. Poor Apple.
                  There are more than a few good engineers at Apple. Apple has its problems but I think it is huge mistake to say Cook is the major issue. The problem is a rapidly changing market place where people that expect what they had in the past is no longer a financial win for for many computer makers. Desktops are a thing of the past in many minds these days. Combine that with the vocal Luddites out there and Apple gets hit upon pretty aggressively in the forums and the press.

In a nut shell I don't buy the line that everything that is wrong at Apple is Cooks fault.

Comment

Apple is the only computer maker I remotely care to use. I don't trust Microsoft, and I don't think Linux is polished enough for desktop use. As for mobiles, there isn't any device as good as an iPad Pro.

Comment

Working...
                    X