No announcement yet.

OpenBSD Founder Calling For LLVM To Face A Cataclysm Over Its Re-Licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android is open source. If you exclude binary firmwares. AOKP, CyanogenMOD, SLIM Rom, Paranoid Android, Slim Bean, PAC-man, Liquid Smooth, Carbon ROM, Replicant, MIUI, OmniROM, AICP etc..

I'd dare sayin it's way more vibrant than any BSD community and perhaps even Linux. There are way more Android users than x86 Linux-BSD users combined. XDA-developers (best source for custom ROMs imho) forum has over 7,5million members alone.
    Last edited by aht0; 09 December 2016, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      Yeah and android is practically closed source...
      I don't know where you got that idea from. Android's codebase is largely open source, only hardware drivers and firmware are not.

Sure, Android devices often ship a set of proprietary Google apps by default, but they are not at all required for Android to function (they are absent from e.g. Amazon devices and most devices for the Chinese domestic market, which is the largest mobile market in the world).

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      Android is open source. If you exclude binary firmwares.
      Not quite. AOSP contains proprietary kernel and userspace drivers too, mostly for cameras, accelerated graphics, and similar stuff. Replicant is the only Android based OS which is fully open source.

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      I'd dare sayin it's way more vibrant than any BSD community and perhaps even Linux. There are way more Android users than x86 Linux-BSD users combined. XDA-developers (best source for custom ROMs imho) forum has over 7,5million members alone.
      True. Android is the most successful Linux distribution out there, and it brought open source to more people than all other Linux distributions combined. Distant second I think is OpenWrt which is now the basis of lots of Wifi routers, followed by those distros that run on smart TVs.

Of course the devices themselves are not free in the FSF sense, because they are mostly closed and not hackable. Still they run open source code.

Comment

Working...
      X