Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git Developers Want Your Feedback (2016 Git Survey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would need some simple well thought out GUI frontend that is very easy to use and very intuitive.

So I don't have to learn the workflow and all the commands.

I want to see which files have been touched out, then right-click on files and select "Commit", "Undo" or "View History" in a context menu.
    Then when I click, I get to write a commit message and press a "Commit" button.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      "Git gud" is absolutely relevant here.

Comment

I would need some simple well thought out GUI frontend that is very easy to use and very intuitive.

I want to see which files have been touched out, then right-click on files and select "Commit", "Undo" or "View History" in a context menu.
        The GUIs in IDEs are pretty good (I can vouch for Idea and egit), but if you don't want to learn the workflow, you're going to have a had time no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          inb4 Lennart pops in with the usual spiel: "Git is fundamentally broken. Let's make it more like TFS!"
          Yeah, only Lennart can probably improve the beauty and power of git in its current incarnation.

Comment

Any half-decent IDE has git integration, so you will do that through the IDE's interface. Even Eclipse has a decent git integration and that plugin does not suck hard like the cvs integration plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Yeah, only Lennart can probably improve the beauty and power of git in its current incarnation.
              I forgot an important point:
              inb4 Gitd

Comment

git has all that built under the hood. you type "git diff" and it shows you the difference between HEAD and uncommitted.
                'git commit -a -m "foobar comment"' commits all the changes.
                ''git log' shows the commits.
                'git rebase -i HEAD~2' (or however commits you want to work through going back from head) will open an editor allowing you to move commits around and drop (delete them), squash (merge them with the one before) and some other stuff I can't remember.

So, what you're asking can be done with, oh, I don't know, 3-4 cli commands? If you really want buttons, menus and spinning wheels, I' bet you can write a zenity bash script that covers all of that under 20 minutes including the time it takes to learn how to download, install and use zenity

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  If you really want buttons, menus and spinning wheels, I' bet you can write a zenity bash script that covers all of that under 20 minutes including the time it takes to learn how to download, install and use zenity
                  Or just use git-cola.

Comment

Give Gitkraken a try.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                      Not to forget about the classic "Why have OpenSSH installed by default when you can just download Putty or any other number of obscure tools?"
                      It'snot the lack of obscure ssh clients so much as Windows not having an inbuilt sshd. That is painful.

Comment

Working...
                      X