Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM/Clang Imported To OpenBSD Base

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang Imported To OpenBSD Baseq

Following this week's release of OpenBSD 6.0, this BSD operating system has added LLVM and its Clang C/C++ compiler to its base archive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a HUGE deal. Performance of the binaries on OpenBSD has been a major complaint for a while; if they can make Clang meet their standards eventually, it would mean that many things would be considerably faster than with the stable-yet-aging forked GNU toolchain.

Comment

When I read this it had a spark to it - it sounds like a BIG DEAL. I am curious if someone more knowledgable knows what sort of estimated performance improvements this could mean.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        This is a HUGE deal. Performance of the binaries on OpenBSD has been a major complaint for a while; if they can make Clang meet their standards eventually, it would mean that many things would be considerably faster than with the stable-yet-aging forked GNU toolchain.
        Well if they just stopped giving a shit about purely political reasons maybe they'd have not had punished their users like this.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Well if they just stopped giving a shit about purely political reasons maybe they'd have not had punished their users like this.
          OpenBSD is not about performance. If somebody cares about performance should change operating system. Maybe FreeBSD, maybe some Gnu/Linux distro?
          To be clear I am OpenBSD user and love this system. It's just simple, secure.

Comment

Standards are standards. I know it's hard for someone who is into politics to understand that.

LLVM / Clang / IAS / lldb / lld are the way forward.

Comment

Linux "punished" it's users for years, sort of. Actually, Linux users did it to themselves for "purely political reasons", when they could have simply used Windows. It has not always been "plug it in and it works for Linux". You had to get often graphics drivers to first work using plenty of CLI, then manually conf X per your personal CRT screen etc.. back in the distant past. NOW you wonder why some people still prefer something else..? It's almost funny.
              I still remember how I patiently experimented to get best settings and highest Hz out of my Dell UltraScan P1110 crt screen..

From OpenBSD point of view, migrating to Clang was question of time. GCC 4.2.1 just did not cut it anymore..

Comment

Working...
              X