Go 1.7 Brings s390x Support, Compiler Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

The hardest thing for me was wrapping my head around the threading stuff. coming from a single threaded dev career it was rather liberating!

As for learning, look at some examples for a simple web server and then try and benchmark your processor? Making my machine hurt is always a nice motivator

I look forward to hearing about how your first project has gone (send me a link)
    Threading shouldn't be an issue after all these years. Learning how to communicate over HTTP, expose a REST service, do persistence, caching, those are the hard parts. Because typically the language doesn't even cover them, you need 3rd party frameworks for those.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Threading shouldn't be an issue after all these years. Learning how to communicate over HTTP, expose a REST service, do persistence, caching, those are the hard parts. Because typically the language doesn't even cover them, you need 3rd party frameworks for those.
      well, http/rest/json/xml is all part of the standard library - really easy to use, really simple to understand.

Persistance is a well solved problem and you are spoilt for choice (if you want to share data across multiple instances), otherwise state is easily maintained in a single long running binary.

Caching (at least for http) can be left up to something like varnish and the browser, just send the appropriate headers and design your website well.

There are of course third party libraries that can make this even easier.

The reason I said the threading was the hardest part (for me) was that I had never really done much of it.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
        I think you meant https://tour.golang.org/
        Right. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
        While the Go tour it's not everything, it's a great quick motivator.
        It almost entirely covers the language. It only leaves out reflections and pointer\unsafe stuff. Naturally, it doesn't cover the full specs and the standard library. But the language itself is fairly well covered. So if you're coming from a few years of background in programming, that's really all it takes to sit down and write productive code.

The hardest thing for me was wrapping my head around the threading stuff. coming from a single threaded dev career it was rather liberating!

As for learning, look at some examples for a simple web server and then try and benchmark your processor? Making my machine hurt is always a nice motivator
        I pretty much agree there. If you've finished the tour you can read other people's code instead of wasting your time reading a textbook. You might need to google standard library functions or review the specs at times, but it's really that trivial to pick up Go if it's not your first language.

Comment

While you all are happy for the new language features, I'm ecstatic over the s390x port... Finally we can get a same version of docker as the rest of the world...

Comment

The reason I said the threading was the hardest part (for me) was that I had never really done much of it.
            No worries, I've met programmers with years experience that did not quite grasp multithreading.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No worries, I've met programmers with years experience that did not quite grasp multithreading.
              and given that the go language was designed to be grok'd quickly and be productive in a week - I was right on that bell curve

Comment

Working...
              X