Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 7.0 Now In Development, GCC 6.1 Likely Coming Next Week

Phoronix: GCC 7.0 Now In Development, GCC 6.1 Likely Coming Next Week

The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) made it today to having no P1 regressions (the highest priority) and thus they've now branched the code for the GCC 6 series, GCC 7.0 is now on the master branch, and GCC 6.1 should be released next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stupid version name...

What did not work with the previous version numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      Stupid version name...

I have to agree - way more complicated

Does anyone know when GCC 5.4 will be released - there's a known issue compiling Wine with the GCC 5.x series

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
        unused first digit did not work

Comment

Even GCC is lining up for the Firefox numbering scheme. This started when LLVM/Clang came along.
          It is a sad world. Projects compete in having the highest major number version.
          Can't wait for the first large project triple digit, or when they start incrementing versions in decas...

Comment

If the only thing trolls on Phoronix can whine about is the switch to semantic versioning, gcc dev's are doing a great job. I for one, am very impressed with the improvements in the optimizer. They're making it really hard for LLVM/clang team to ever catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
              If the only thing trolls on Phoronix can whine about is the switch to semantic versioning, gcc dev's are doing a great job. I for one, am very impressed with the improvements in the optimizer. They're making it really hard for LLVM/clang team to ever catch up.
              Agreed, I don't know why a version number is so important at the end of the day, as long as breaking changes are clear, which they are (e.g. 5.X -> 6.X).

... I mean personally I feel like 5.99 would be better than using 6.0 as the RC, but honestly it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Does anyone know when GCC 5.4 will be released - there's a known issue compiling Wine with the GCC 5.x series
                wine runs fine here built with 5.3. There's been an msABI bug early in the 5 series, but that has been fixed almost half a year ago I think.

Comment

They could also start working on GCC 7-9 now like Firefox development works. Lots of new versions in the pipeline. Maybe some new user interface themes.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                    Catch up? Clang already surpassed GCC..

After more than a year of continuous work by our community, I'm very pleased to finally announce the first beta release of KDevelop 5.0.0. This release is made up of hundreds of commits, and marks a huge step forward:

Comment

Working...
                    X