LLVM Still Looking At Relicensing, Encouraging More Women & Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Still Looking At Relicensing, Encouraging More Women & Code of Conduct

Phoronix: LLVM Still Looking At Relicensing, Encouraging More Women & Code of Conduct

Beyond the talk about new C++ features, OpenCL 2.0 plans for Clang 3.9, LLVM's new ELF linker, and other interesting talks from last month's EuroLLVM conference in Barcelona, there was also a session about the LLVM Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IIRC, not trying to flame/troll, I read a news about women in tech tending to prefer jobs/work that have more social good effect, like developing a software that calculate how deep the water is below the ground, so that the software can be used to spot where to dig artesian aquifer in Africa, instead of developing compilers that translate code in executable binaries...

Comment

Why only Apache 2.0? why not dual-license under MIT and Apache 2.0 so GPLv2 software can link to LLVM under MIT terms and companies worried about patents can have the safety of the Apache 2.0 terms? I don't like the idea of just screwing over any GPLv2 software that may wish to link to LLVM. =\

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        IIRC, not trying to flame/troll, I read a news about women in tech tending to prefer jobs/work that have more social good effect, like developing a software that calculate how deep the water is below the ground, so that the software can be used to spot where to dig artesian aquifer in Africa, instead of developing compilers that translate code in executable binaries...
        Depends on your point of view. The entire FOSS agenda is advocated as serving the greater good. Last I checked, men were not in short supply in kernel.org.

Besides, aside from the obvious Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper wrote the first compiler and was the key designer of COBOL. So you're somewhat begging the question there..

Comment

Depends on your point of view. The entire FOSS agenda is advocated as serving the greater good. Last I checked, men were not in short supply at kernel.org.

Besides, aside from the obvious Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper wrote the first compiler and was the key designer of COBOL. So you're somewhat begging the question there..

Comment

Perhaps everyone (including women) can make up their own minds on what to work on, so your speculation on this subject won't be necessary. Remember that 'women' is not some homogeneous group of people. Each person is an individual and has their own interests.

Comment

Apache 2 is my favorite permissive license already, so hurrah for LLVM on that front. The patent clauses are immensely important and MIT / BSD lack them.

I don't really care about GPLv2 software compatibility. You shouldn't even be using it anymore, GPLv3 plugs tons of loopholes and exploits companies were using to circumvent the original intent of the GPL. If you do not want to actually guarantee your users software freedom, just use LGPL or Apache.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

Perhaps everyone (including women) can make up their own minds on what to work on, so your speculation on this subject won't be necessary. Remember that 'women' is not some homogeneous group of people. Each person is an individual and has their own interests.
                And perhaps both men and women have biological differences that cause them to have different preferences, but that would be silly wouldn't it? As we all know there is 0 genetic difference between men and women and theirs bodies have no differences at all.

Comment

To stay politically correct they also need to get some mentally ill people on board, gays and somesuch. Who cares about coding abilities or freedom of speech, after all? Let them turn into Mozilla Foundation #2, this bunch of corporate footpads really deserves code of conduct and other corporate bullshit. Fixed working hours could also be good idea, any day.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I don't really care about GPLv2 software compatibility.
                    Cool, but what about Linux kernel? Please do not offer *BSD garbage or proprietary software, it just would not do.

Comment

Working...
                    X