Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Is Making Xamarin Free, Will Open-Source Its SDK

Phoronix: Microsoft Is Making Xamarin Free, Will Open-Source Its SDK

This week is Microsoft's BUILD Conference and a day after announcing Ubuntu for Windows 10, Microsoft today announced it will be providing Xamarin free to all Visual Studio users and that they intend to open-source its technology too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's the important links:

Patent Promise:
    Mono open source ECMA CLI, C# and .NET implementation. - mono/mono

Open-source news:

Comment

I wonder if they will make the AOT+runtime available as well? Otherwise you can't use it on platforms that don't allow JIT (like iOS, XBOne, PS, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Microsoft Is Making Xamarin Free, Will Open-Source Its SDK

This week is Microsoft's BUILD Conference and a day after announcing Ubuntu for Windows 10, Microsoft today announced it will be providing Xamarin free to all Visual Studio users and that they intend to open-source its technology too...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...pening-Xamarin
        Will RoboVM that was recently bought by Xamarin and now onwed by Microsoft also be free?

Comment

Great news. I've half hoped, half predicted this for a year now since I've started coding more and more in C# instead of C++. I hope this means Mono will get more on par with MS runtime faster and perhaps also get viable Qt bindings (would much prefer Qt to GTK-Sharp).

Comment

How long Microsoft will buy linux so to spread one only operating system eliminating any other linux distros!?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              How long Microsoft will buy linux so to spread one only operating system eliminating any other linux distros!?

Pretty long. I don't think that is possible given Linux' and the various distributions development model.

Comment

Originally posted by skurk View Post
                Great news. I've half hoped, half predicted this for a year now since I've started coding more and more in C# instead of C++. I hope this means Mono will get more on par with MS runtime faster and perhaps also get viable Qt bindings (would much prefer Qt to GTK-Sharp).
                Not what's going to happen, the MS runtime will be replacing Mono entirely on all platforms because that's kinda the whole point of .NET Core https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet . As to Qt bindings, watch this https://github.com/ddobrev/QtSharp it's not ready just yet but it's getting quite close. The important point of all of this is that the Xamarin Mac, Android, and iOS bindings are going to be released under MIT which means that Linux developers will finally have access to those bindings.

Comment

This is great news, now unity3d will support a newer version of mono.
                  I hope than they will opensource the mobile parts of xamarine studio, so we can use it on linux, but that is asking too much, since they get the money from there.
                  Edit: I guess the xamarin sdk is about this. In that case, this is great news.
                  Last edited by edoantonioco; 31 March 2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I really wish Microsoft would port Visual Studio to Linux. It is an amazing IDE. No not VS Code, the real VS.

Comment

Working...
                    X