Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go 1.6 Released

Phoronix: Go 1.6 Released

For fans of Google's Go programming language, version 1.6 was released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*yay* new shinies

Comment

Pretty disappointed they don't release a version that comes bundled with some free time for me to actually start learning Go
      Because, while it hasn't gained much traction, I have only heard good things about the language.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Pretty disappointed they don't release a version that comes bundled with some free time for me to actually start learning Go
        Because, while it hasn't gained much traction, I have only heard good things about the language.
        It has gained quite a bit of traction (from what I see). Also - you can be productive in go pretty quickly (it's designed for new people to get up to speed quickly)

Comment

It took me 2hours to learn enough go to convert a 500lines python web scraper to a 300lines go program in the following day. If you already have a week worth of programming in any other language you can take the tour at tour.golang.org and pretty much get by just with that.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

It took me 2hours to learn enough go to convert a 500lines python web scraper to a 300lines go program in the following day. If you already have a week worth of programming in any other language you can take the tour at tour.golang.org and pretty much get by just with that.
            You can learn the syntax of pretty much any language within two hours (C/C++ included). It's the capabilities, APIs and 3rd party libraries that make it actually useful.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                Oh dear, C# style where method names are capitalized...
                Of course, that doesn't make the language bad (or good), it just makes it awkward in my eyes.

Comment

Oh dear, C# style where method names are capitalized...
                  Of course, that doesn't make the language bad (or good), it just makes it awkward in my eyes.
                  Uppercase names are used to make functions, methods and variables visible outside packages: https://golang.org/doc/effective_go.html#names

Also, see https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Learn

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                    Uppercase names are used to make functions, methods and variables visible outside packages: https://golang.org/doc/effective_go.html#names

Also, see https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Learn
                    And there I was, thinking this is meant to be less confusing. Oh well, I'll just have to try and see how it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X