LLVM Clang Compiler Optimization Benchmarks From -O0 To -O3 -march=native

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang Compiler Optimization Benchmarks From -O0 To -O3 -march=native

Phoronix: LLVM Clang Compiler Optimization Benchmarks From -O0 To -O3 -march=native

As some recent GCC 5.2 compile tuning tests with various CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS were of interest to a number of Phoronix readers, hare are some benchmarks with a number of different compiler flag tests when using the LLVM Clang 3.8 compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is an improvement on the usual benchmarks, but you should have included `-march=native` with each of the other optimization levels. In particular, `-O3 -march=native` is not necessarily better than `-O2 -march=native`.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely agree. I've never committed to LLVM as a C compiler yet simply because with portage GCC "just works". But at the least with GCC -03 causes some problems and can in some situations induce compile failures that are caused by indescribable behavior. I always build everything with -02 -march=native. It is true there may be packages that do perform better with -03, but those should only be considered on a case by case basis, and for most people it just isn't worth the time. If You have some load that you are expecting it to take weeks or months to complete, then perhaps -03 would be worth considering for that specific package.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
        This is an improvement on the usual benchmarks, but you should have included `-march=native` with each of the other optimization levels. In particular, `-O3 -march=native` is not necessarily better than `-O2 -march=native`.
        Agreed

Comment

I don't understand.
          You mentioned gcc 5.2 results, but how do you compare the clang results with the gcc ones ?
          gcc tests were done on a i7-4558U, and clang's on a xeon...

Otherwise what's the usefulness of this ? To know that -O2 is more optimized than -O0 ?
          Or to know that -O0 is faster to compile ?

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
            I don't understand.
            You mentioned gcc 5.2 results, but how do you compare the clang results with the gcc ones ?

Otherwise what's the usefulness of this ? To know that -O2 is more optimized than -O0 ?
            This isn't meant to compare to the GCC ones, just for showing difference between levels.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
              I don't understand.

Comparison with GCC will be another article. It's impossible to include both in the same article.

Comment

Oh wow. I recently switched my source based distribution compiler so I build as much as possible with clang/clang++ + libc++. It would've been nice if you threw in the -Ofast flag which you've been known to be using. My flags are -march=sandybridge -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Ofast -fstack-protector-strong. My CPU is an i5 Sandybridge Laptop CPU, so -march=sandybridge should be equivalent to -march=native. I am not sure if -fstack-protector-strong adds some overhead, but I can say I didn't notice any improvements over -O2 -march=sandybridge when I switched to -Ofast -march=sandybridge, at least not visible to naked eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                  Oh wow. I recently switched my source based distribution compiler so I build as much as possible with clang/clang++ + libc++. It would've been nice if you threw in the -Ofast flag which you've been known to be using. My flags are -march=sandybridge -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Ofast -fstack-protector-strong. My CPU is an i5 Sandybridge Laptop CPU, so -march=sandybridge should be equivalent to -march=native. I am not sure if -fstack-protector-strong adds some overhead, but I can say I didn't notice any improvements over -O2 -march=sandybridge when I switched to -Ofast -march=sandybridge, at least not visible to naked eye.
                  The problem with -fomit-frame-pointer is that it makes it harder when you need to file bug reports. You'll see a lot of people complain at you for that. I suggest that i you ever need to file a bug report you should recompile everything down the dependency chain without it first. In which case you'll likely save a bunch time if you just don't use it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The problem with -fomit-frame-pointer is that it makes it harder when you need to file bug reports. You'll see a lot of people complain at you for that. I suggest that i you ever need to file a bug report you should recompile everything down the dependency chain without it first. In which case you'll likely save a bunch time if you just don't use it in the first place.
                    I know what the flag does. The "package manager"'s debug mode removes -fomit-frame-pointer and adds -g, resulting in enough debug info when I need it. Easy enough to trigger a rebuild in such occasions.

Comment

Working...
                    X