Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milkylainen
    replied
    Big whoop. Everybody seems to care about the seconds spent compiling and building objects. While I commend the effort being placed in writing gold, it isn't a ld replacement (yet).
    Also, speed is usually a (somewhat) function of feature set. While LLVM/Clang and gold might be shiny, new and fast, they do not carry the same feature set as their more mature competitors do.
    People tend to forget that GCC is a thirty year old project. The amount of features and cruft collected is just astounding. I will happily benchmark LLVM/Clang 25 years down the road and compare it against a new shiny lightweight compiler.. (Oh.. the new is soo shiny and faaast. It can compile my kernel in 28 seconds instead of 30!).

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Why can't it used for kernel modules?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Rust Now Prefers Using The GNU Gold Linker By Default

Rust Now Prefers Using The GNU Gold Linker By Default

Phoronix: Rust Now Prefers Using The GNU Gold Linker By Default

The latest win for GNU's Gold linker is with the Rust programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X