Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.0 Final Didn't Make It Out Today, PHP 7 RC8 Released

Phoronix: PHP 7.0 Final Didn't Make It Out Today, PHP 7 RC8 Released

The release of PHP 7 was delayed earlier this month when they decided to do another release candidate. PHP 7.0 final was expected today, but now it's been pushed out once more with the need for an RC8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

{ Random posting about why PHP is such a bad language because I can't write good code in it and how much better my life is since I switched to Perl/Java/Ruby/Python/COBOL. }

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      { Random posting about why PHP is such a bad language because I can't write good code in it and how much better my life is since I switched to Perl/Java/Ruby/Python/COBOL. }

{ angry retort in bad spelling }

Comment

{ bad counter-code examples erroneously copied from Stack Overflow }

Comment

{ complaining about the troll on phoronix }

Comment

{ joins in with a slight-related question }

(I imagine most things that just-work on PHP 5 currently could be brought over to PHP 7? (more specifically, Joomla, MyBB, WordPress, etc))

Comment

Combo breaker!

Yes, most of them unless they rely on compatibility with PHP < 5.3.

Comment

The bad thing about PHP isn't just the language itself, but the community around it that fosters the warts and issues of the language is opposed to any change. People try to move away from it because writing good code in PHP is much harder than doing so in other languages. From http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-...of-bad-design/

I can?t even say what?s wrong with PHP, because? okay. Imagine you have uh, a toolbox. A set of tools. Looks okay, standard stuff in there.
                You pull out a screwdriver, and you see it?s one of those weird tri-headed things. Okay, well, that?s not very useful to you, but you guess it comes in handy sometimes.
                You pull out the hammer, but to your dismay, it has the claw part on both sides. Still serviceable though, I mean, you can hit nails with the middle of the head holding it sideways.
                You pull out the pliers, but they don?t have those serrated surfaces; it?s flat and smooth. That?s less useful, but it still turns bolts well enough, so whatever.
                And on you go. Everything in the box is kind of weird and quirky, but maybe not enough to make it completely worthless. And there?s no clear problem with the set as a whole; it still has all the tools.
                Now imagine you meet millions of carpenters using this toolbox who tell you ?well hey what?s the problem with these tools? They?re all I?ve ever used and they work fine!? And the carpenters show you the houses they?ve built, where every room is a pentagon and the roof is upside-down. And you knock on the front door and it just collapses inwards and they all yell at you for breaking their door.
                That?s what?s wrong with PHP.

Comment

Hurr durr no native decorators, so It's useless and I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  { joins in with a slight-related question }

(I imagine most things that just-work on PHP 5 currently could be brought over to PHP 7? (more specifically, Joomla, MyBB, WordPress, etc))

WordPress and Drupal (7,8, !6) were highly tested during the development of php7; they both show significant performance improvements.. Not too sure about Joomla, but I believe that 3.5 works well. I thought that MyBB was no longer really under development, so you could have problems there.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    People try to move away from it because writing good code in PHP is much harder than doing so in other languages.
                    No, it's not. It's just that PHP actually lets you write code of any quality without enforcing certain code styles. With freedom comes responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X