Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HippyVM Sounds Interesting, But Only If It Would Work Right

Phoronix: HippyVM Sounds Interesting, But Only If It Would Work Right

HippyVM is an open-source project that's striving for 100% compatibility with Zend PHP while being more than seven times faster than stock PHP and more than twice as fast as Facebook's HHVM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you file a bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
      Did you file a bug report?
      Based upon how Michael works, you're reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Based upon how Michael works, you're reading it.
        Yep, if only I had the time/resources to properly report/follow-up with every bug I come across...
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Facebook has hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) invested into developing HHVM given all the people on the team they pay over the years.

And even now it is still a very beta product, memory leaks and fastcgi problems persist (facebook deals with this via massive fallover availability).

HippyVM website has been up for a year, and I would bet they are still years away from full PHP 5.6 compatibility.

There have been other attempts like this over the years, HHVM was the first to hit true functionality and that is only because a company the size of Facebook was behind it.

We went through this last decade with php opcode caches ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PHP_accelerators ) there are a dozen of them and in the end when Zend finally decided to open source theirs last year, it was better than all of them.

Comment

I am just happy that we have lots of attention being paid to the underlying speed of the language!

It just means we get to smack the shite out of our prod servers with even more requests!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, if only I had the time/resources to properly report/follow-up with every bug I come across...

If you stopped posting as many "junk" articles, telling us something's not changed since the last article, flamebait ones, posting other people's blog posts as your own (with refer backs to your own articles) and maybe diverted some of your resources your pouring into your PTS Farm you'd find A) you'd have more time to do things properly B) developers would have more time for you C) the quality of your articles would hopefully increase.

Do you ever email the parties involved before posting an article? Many of your articles show quite a lot of misunderstanding which you never really go back and correct (case and point the evdev one)

Will you apologise to the HippyVM developers if you've made a mistake in setting it up?

Comment

Based on previous experience with pypy, it's fantastic but if you have any external module that's not written in the same language, it won't work, so I'm not surprised Michael's tests are failing: do you have any non-pure php dependencies?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Given how much time you spend to write pseudo reports like this article, all it would take would be to create a simple bug report upstream that links to your article. Added benefit, those developers that follow the link will see your ads.

Comment

Working...
                  X