No announcement yet.

PHP 7.0 Is Showing Very Promising Performance Over PHP 5, Closing Gap With HHVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.0 Is Showing Very Promising Performance Over PHP 5, Closing Gap With HHVM

Phoronix: PHP 7.0 Is Showing Very Promising Performance Over PHP 5, Closing Gap With HHVM

With PHP 7.0 RC2 having just been released, I've been testing it out thoroughly across a range of Linux systems at Phoronix. To the say the least, the performance claims made by PHP developers about the upcoming PHP7 release are very accurate: it's pretty darn fast and about twice as fast as PHP 5.6. Here are some benchmarks I did on Ubuntu Linux x86_64 comparing the performance of PHP 7.0 RC2 to PHP 5.3/5.4/5.5/5.6, along with some HHVM results tossed in at the end.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

By experience HHVM memory usage has always been higher than PHP equivalent, but in the end, the total memory usage of HHVM vs the whole PHP-FPM pool was always better, not to say that it requires less instance than PHP-FPM to serve the same amount of transaction.

Comment

Funny how PHP is becoming more like a statically typed language, their worst nightmare, with every new release. The features and compilation tech are copied from language the PHP users despise the most.

Comment

What do you know of www.hippyvm.com? It is a project developed by the PyPy team (alternative python interpreter).
        I'd like to see some test against PHP5, PHP7 and HHVM.
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by alegeott View Post
          What do you know of www.hippyvm.com? It is a project developed by the PyPy team (alternative python interpreter).
          Thanks!
          Never heard of HippyVM but compiling it now...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Funny how PHP is becoming more like a statically typed language, their worst nightmare, with every new release. The features and compilation tech are copied from language the PHP users despise the most.

And? I for one am welcoming of this change - can't wait to use it!

Comment

Originally posted by alegeott View Post
              Thanks!
              Seems like shit, it can't even startup PTS without problems. Ran into problems when printing some values of an array at start-up.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

PHP 7 seems like a great update to PHP. It is much needed.

However, still no decorators/annotations.

Also, still strings, integers and floats aren't objects, so you can't do things like "Meow".toLower(), but have to rely on a bunch of inconsistently, unpredictable named functions that are sometimes named with underscore and sometimes without. All of them residing in (and hence polluting) the global namespace.

Good though is now many functions actually throw exceptions, so you don't have to rely on weird return values such as -1.

Comment

An ugly language got even uglier..

Comment

While this is another quality benchmark from phoronix I want to point out that PHP/HHVM are not typically used for raw computational power like these tests are measuring

Other benchmarks to consider might be 1000 "single file" short tests in a series where the fastcgi socket is given a workout and then maybe four parallel versions of that test (for all I know HHVM might still be better in parallel loads vs PHP).

For example my test from last month is less scientific but it shows PHP7 is slightly faster than HHVM for web apps like WordPress when running sequentially

A casual Sunday morning benchmark for August 9th 2015 using latest builds: 1000 Front Pages of WordPress (virtually stock default install) HHVM 11.99, 11.83, 11.81, 11.78, 11.85 seconds PHP7 11.18,…

I still have to rig up a parallel load test.

Comment

Working...
                    X