Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual Studio 2015 Launches With Its Linux Targeting Support

Phoronix: Visual Studio 2015 Launches With Its Linux Targeting Support

Microsoft formally launched its Visual Studio 2015 integrated development environment today. While there isn't a Linux version of the client, from VS 2015 there is support for targeting Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate Microsoft. However, all of the .NET -related software Microsoft has released as open source has been under an MIT license with an explicit additional patent license grant.

I am, of course, not a lawyer, but as far as I can tell that means today writing cross-platform applications in .NET leaves you safer from patent lawsuits from the original vendor than if you use Java. And I like Oracle even less than I like Microsoft, anyway.

Thoughts?

Comment

So, it was said that it will ship clang for targetting Linux and Mobile. Does anyone know whether this clang can be used for targetting Windows, as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        I hate Microsoft. However, all of the .NET -related software Microsoft has released as open source has been under an MIT license with an explicit additional patent license grant.
        The patent license grant is full of weasel words, and by its most narrow interpretation, if you're not using Microsoft's own open source .NET codebase, it's not protected under the patent license.

By its broadest reading, as long as you're doing .NET-related stuff and doesn't violate the spec in new and interesting ways, then you're protected.

Comment

Originally posted by h**2 View Post
          So, it was said that it will ship clang for targetting Linux and Mobile. Does anyone know whether this clang can be used for targetting Windows, as well?
          Clang seems to be the way they plan to compile iOS apps to Universal Windows Apps, so yes, though I have no idea what limitations that has. And that functionality isn't available in this release, so I don't know that I could test it yet, either.

Comment

Originally posted by DataPath View Post

The patent license grant is full of weasel words, and by its most narrow interpretation, if you're not using Microsoft's own open source .NET codebase, it's not protected under the patent license.

By its broadest reading, as long as you're doing .NET-related stuff and doesn't violate the spec in new and interesting ways, then you're protected.
            Good point.

Ideally, any programming language or runtime not developed fully in the open will fade to obscurity anyway. I just fear the Java Virtual Machine has too much marketshare for that to happen. But if C++14, Golang, Rust, D, Typescript, Dart, Elixir, Python, Ruby, Perl, PHP, Haxe, Hack, etc... manage to supplant both the .NET CLR and the JVM, that would be wonderful.

Comment

Visual Studio is really nice text editor.
              But we have lots of nice plugins that make great tool from visual studio
              for example visual assist, visualGDB,..
              I use visualGDB for development on rpi, It is best plugin for remote compile/development.
              And it just work. it isn't like eclipse or netbeans with complicate setup.
              they use smart idea to tunnel gdb over ssh

And Visual studio has free edition
              For me Visual studio + visual assist + visualGDB => best tool for c/c++ development on linux
              Last edited by miskol; 20 July 2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

In the Mid West, .NET and HTML5/JS are the only talks available at tech. conventions... and dominate the job market here. I am glad to see C# being "opened". The only thing I worry about is C# GUI Dev. C#'s MVVM design is awesome... I'd like to see something like a more thought out version of QML for C# with a Coded UI style designer. Maybe something that easily transitions to the web if you wanted to host your app as a service... and could also work seamlessly when targeted for mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                  Visual Studio is really nice text editor.
                  [...]
                  For me Visual studio + visual assist + visualGDB => best tool for c/c++ development on linux
                  Isn't the Linux version (or all the versions?) of "VS" based on the ATOM editor ( https://atom.io/ ) ? http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/04/3...s-atom-editor/

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                    Isn't the Linux version (or all the versions?) of "VS" based on the ATOM editor ( https://atom.io/ ) ? http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/04/3...s-atom-editor/
                    VS Code is basically a placeholder until the WPF team is convinced to open source WPF. VS itself relies upon WPF which is why it can't be ported for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                    X