Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHVM 3.8 Brings More Performance Improvements For Hack & PHP

Phoronix: HHVM 3.8 Brings More Performance Improvements For Hack & PHP

Facebook developers today announced the release of HHVM 3.8.0, their interpreter for PHP and their own Hack programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's actually not an "interpreter for PHP," it's a bytecode virtual machine, similar to the JVM and the .NET CLR. It was designed to work especially well for PHP compiled into its bytecode, but as we can see, it can also support other languages.

Comment

I think that when php zend developers implement JIT on PHP 7 it will be faster than HHVM given that current php 7 implementation mostly matches that of hhvm without any kind of JIT.

Comment

I jumped on the hype train and tried HHVM on my VPS, but it crashed frequently (especially when first visiting a new page). Later I realized it crashes because 512M memory isn't enough for its JIT compilation. It's not suited for small servers, so now I'm stuck with the standard interpreter.

Comment

Working...
        X