Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Switching Over To GCC 5.1.1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Switching Over To GCC 5.1.1

    Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Switching Over To GCC 5.1.1

    The current stable version of GCC 5, GCC 5.1.1, has been added to openSUSE Factory and in turn will see all packages rebuilt against this new compiler and this will become the default compiler in the openSUSE Tumbleweed snashot due out later in the week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...leweed-GCC-5.1

  • #2
    The current stable release of GCC is 5.1.0, there is no announcement on the homepage or source archive on the file servers. And it isn't in portage, yet

    FYI: Most packages build fine with gcc-5.1. Packages, which didn't work with gcc-5.1, I built with clang. So far these:
    Code:
    net-libs/webkit-gtk
    dev-qt/qtwebkit
    dev-libs/libgpg-error
    sys-libs/ncurses
    media-gfx/exiv2
    sys-devel/llvm
    sys-devel/clang
    media-gfx/ufraw
    I set up that system a few months ago. Quite possible, that these packages build fine with gcc-5.1 nowadays, since they got patched. But since it doesn't hurt building them with clang, I simply keep it that way. Furthermore, building anything webkitty is quite slow, clang helps here, too

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmm... I wonder when 13.3 is going to come out. 13.2 is getting quite stale at the moment and I'd rather reinstall my system soon. Usually we'd be looking at milestones now, but I think this time around 13.3 is going to be just a Tumbleweed snapshot. So I'm considering whether to switch to Tumbleweed. Hmm.

      Comment


      • #4
        Dunno about SuSE (the last one I tried was 6.4), but rolling distributions like Gentoo or Arch work fine for me. No more reinstalls if the hardware plays along

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by oleid View Post
          The current stable release of GCC is 5.1.0, there is no announcement on the homepage or source archive on the file servers. And it isn't in portage, yet
          [..]
          building anything webkitty is quite slow, clang helps here, too
          This is with gcc-5.1 (git heads at the time of compilation): The compilation times are not that bad

          Sun May 24 15:32:07 2015 >>> dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.4.1
          merge time: 16 minutes and 35 seconds.

          Sat May 30 08:32:14 2015 >>> dev-qt/qtwebkit-4.8.7
          merge time: 9 minutes and 41 seconds.

          Compare that to gcc itself: (cilk cxx graphite nopie nossp nptl openmp sanitize flags enabled)

          Fri Jun 12 21:59:21 2015 >>> sys-devel/gcc-5.1.0
          merge time: 20 minutes and 17 seconds.

          Fri Jun 12 22:28:10 2015 >>> sys-devel/gcc-4.9.2
          merge time: 13 minutes and 57 seconds.

          All packages in your list have been fixed to work with gcc-5; but you should add "app-emulation/wine": it builds, but exhibits severe runtime failures.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Dunno about SuSE (the last one I tried was 6.4), but rolling distributions like Gentoo or Arch work fine for me. No more reinstalls if the hardware plays along
            Well, my install here is from the beta 13.1 days and it has some real annoying issues: Baloo doesn't work at all (so no search in Dolphin whatsoever), there are some filesystem issues due to an old kernel being default, and in general some weird and inconsistent things happening. With 13.2 also not getting Plasma 5.3, Tumbleweed sure looks nice for the time being. Maybe it would be possible to upgrade from it to 13.3 when ready, hmm.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

              Well, my install here is from the beta 13.1 days and it has some real annoying issues: Baloo doesn't work at all (so no search in Dolphin whatsoever), there are some filesystem issues due to an old kernel being default, and in general some weird and inconsistent things happening. With 13.2 also not getting Plasma 5.3, Tumbleweed sure looks nice for the time being. Maybe it would be possible to upgrade from it to 13.3 when ready, hmm.
              the factory mailing list is discussing the next release at the moment. For now it seems that there will be no "normal" 13.3, instead they will build a new LTS-style openSUSE around the recently released SUSE SLES sources.
              on your baloo issue: try adding an unimportant folder in the config where baloo should NOT search. This solved the problem for me, because then baloo began indexing my files...

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh, well, that sounds neat. Some competition for CentOS. I recently had to set up a CentOS workstation and wished I had a more familiar option, so this would definitely work nicely. (Though why SLES and not SLED?)
                And in that case, I suppose that's even more reason to switch to Tumbleweed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  on your baloo issue: try adding an unimportant folder in the config where baloo should NOT search. This solved the problem for me, because then baloo began indexing my files...
                  Doesn't help. The thing is that Baloo has indexed everything, I can see with the query tools that that's the case. It's the search tool that always returns nothing for some reason.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can anyone tell me if they will build their packages with LTO enabled? thanks

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X