Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust 1.0 Language Officially Released

Phoronix: Rust 1.0 Language Officially Released

Rust 1.0 has been officially released!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Now give us a servo based FF.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Nice. Now give us a servo based FF.
      Mozilla has stated many times that Servo is pretty much never going to replace Gecko in the Firefox browser. It is a "research project" as to how they could improve Gecko. That being said, there is, of course, much interest in 3rd parties making browsers out of Servo. Or even replacing Chromium in other browsers (since Servo is going to use the Chromium Embedding API)

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      I doubt we'll see that anytime soon. Mozilla can't even finish their port to GTK+ 3.
      Never (see above). But that's Servo itself. There is work undergoing to use libraries Servo uses (URL Parser, image decoder, etc) in Firefox, as the Servo libraries are faster (or at least the same speed), easier to read/write, and safer (obviously).

As for GTK+3, there are working builds for it (at least for Fedora Rawhide). They're not switching to it because there are a few critical bugs left.
      Meta bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699
      Lots of crossed out bugs

Comment

Rust's Hello World example generates on Linux a 564KB executable, I wonder why?
        C/C++ is about 10KB.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Rust's Hello World example generates on Linux a 564KB executable, I wonder why?
          C/C++ is about 10KB.
          Static linking.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Mozilla has stated many times that Servo is pretty much never going to replace Gecko in the Firefox browser. It is a "research project" as to how they could improve Gecko. That being said, there is, of course, much interest in 3rd parties making browsers out of Servo. Or even replacing Chromium in other browsers (since Servo is going to use the Chromium Embedding API)
            I don't know. They seem to be working on getting it production ready. So i kind of believe we will see a product based on it. If it is another (new) Browser that will replace FF i am all for it.

Comment

So what can I code with it beside Hello World? Is there a boost functionality? MPI? Sparse matrix libraries?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Static linking.

Hello World in Go is even 1.9 MB or 1.4 MB if you strip the binary with "strip -s". It statically links the runtime into it.

However there is also "gccgo". If you compile it with that the binary is 24kb or 18kb stripped.

Comment

No, thanks.

Comment

Please someone
                    rewrite the Lnux kernel
                    using Rust

Comment

Working...
                    X