Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Make Adds Support For Visual Studio Code

Phoronix: Ubuntu Make Adds Support For Visual Studio Code

Verison 0.7 of Ubuntu Make has been released, the software formerly known as the Ubuntu Developer Tools Center...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Inb4 the "i'll never install this evil pos in my systems!!!1" comments

Comment

...VSCode is not a IDE, it's just a code editor. Please don't compare it to other IDE's, compare it to Sublime text, vim, atom etc

Comment

Hmmm.

Released yesterdag, and now allready available in Ubuntu.
        So Ubuntu knew allready, I never have seen them act that quick.

Makes me wonder what would happen if Mark Shuttleworth sold Ubuntu to Microsoft.
        Another cash-in I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
          Hmmm.

Makes me wonder what would happen if Mark Shuttleworth sold Ubuntu to Microsoft.
          Another cash-in I guess.
          The article doesn't say that. It says it's added to Ubuntu Make, which is software _for_ Ubuntu. It is not _in_ Ubuntu as you claim. Your assumption is that this required a massive undertaking and hence required knowledge ahead of time, which to you, prove that Ubuntu is somehow a conspiracy. But all this faith is based on nothing but faith. There is another installer, made by someone else. It's not enormous. https://github.com/segaboy/visualstu...vsinstaller.sh

But of course, when you start to believe in the devil, you will see him everywhere. Confirmation bias.

Comment

Hmmm.

Another cash-in I guess.
            You know that is not that implausible.
            There may be a future where Microsoft could buy Canonical and continue development of Ubuntu.
            Ubuntu has a lot marketshare in the cloud space and Azure is the 2'nd largest cloud platform.
            Both Microsoft and Canonical have very similar visions of one OS on all device form factors, one UI that adapts to the form factor and input devices available.
            Even if Ubuntu is hugely popular, Canonical is not hugely profitable.
            Microsoft is moving more and more towards open source stuff, OUT OF NECESSITY.

A future where Microsoft Ubuntu is a thing is not that unbelievable.
            The same way Microsoft Cyanogen was almost a thing.
            After all, there are other companies that maintain multiple operating systems.

Comment

Hmmm.

Another cash-in I guess.
              BS, compared to how quickly Visual Studio Code was packaged and thrown into AUR, vsc being added to ubuntu make is just slow in comparison. Packaging an application isn't rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                The article doesn't say that. It says it's added to Ubuntu Make, which is software _for_ Ubuntu. It is not _in_ Ubuntu as you claim. Your assumption is that this required a massive undertaking and hence required knowledge ahead of time, which to you, prove that Ubuntu is somehow a conspiracy. But all this faith is based on nothing but faith. There is another installer, made by someone else. It's not enormous. https://github.com/segaboy/visualstu...vsinstaller.sh

But of course, when you start to believe in the devil, you will see him everywhere. Confirmation bias.
                I assume nothing, I only look at the facts, and share my feeling about it.

Just being cautious, and you might be right, we'll see.

Companies working together on things that are not in the common interest isn't new, you know.

BTW: its's funny how people nowadays seem to use "conspiracy" instead of "conspiracy theory".

What changed ?

Comment

Originally posted by alexvoda View Post
                  You know that is not that implausible.
                  There may be a future where Microsoft could buy Canonical and continue development of Ubuntu.
                  Ubuntu has a lot marketshare in the cloud space and Azure is the 2'nd largest cloud platform.
                  Both Microsoft and Canonical have very similar visions of one OS on all device form factors, one UI that adapts to the form factor and input devices available.
                  Even if Ubuntu is hugely popular, Canonical is not hugely profitable.
                  Microsoft is moving more and more towards open source stuff, OUT OF NECESSITY.

A future where Microsoft Ubuntu is a thing is not that unbelievable.
                  The same way Microsoft Cyanogen was almost a thing.
                  After all, there are other companies that maintain multiple operating systems.
                  It's not really plausible. Microsoft doesn't really have anything to gain by buying out Canonical. Microsoft already has working convergence software whereas Canonical is still really just talking about it, and doesn't have any useful experience whatsoever. If Microsoft were to buy out anyone it would be SUSE because of their previous working relationships and because SUSE is the only viable competitor to Red Hat, Canonical has never actually made a profit, and even then it would only be for the purposes of Microsoft Linux for Azure. In all honesty though if Microsoft wanted to get back into the *NIX business, I'd think they'd pull an Apple and base of the BSDs.

Comment

Working...
                  X