Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HHVM Continues Beating PHP At Its Own Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HHVM Continues Beating PHP At Its Own Game

    Phoronix: HHVM Continues Beating PHP At Its Own Game

    Given this week's release of HHVM 3.6 I decided to run some new performance comparison tests of PHP vs. HHVM...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nchmarks-13Mar

  • #2
    This masks something strange I experienced this week with the update : they modified some restrictions/behaviour in the mysqli connector, and my RSS reader, Leed, crashes with the new version where it worked flawlessly with the previous 3.5.1. So I had to switch back to FPM to read my news. I may investigate further, but I already had to make a "fix" to phpmyadmin to make it work with HHVM, so you really, really have to look pretty close to see if you php app will work with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      It depends

      Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
      This masks something strange I experienced this week with the update : they modified some restrictions/behaviour in the mysqli connector, and my RSS reader, Leed, crashes with the new version where it worked flawlessly with the previous 3.5.1. So I had to switch back to FPM to read my news. I may investigate further, but I already had to make a "fix" to phpmyadmin to make it work with HHVM, so you really, really have to look pretty close to see if you php app will work with it.
      I do not think that phoronix test suits depends largely on db operations. But on the other hand, because of hhvm I find out one problem in our ORM layer. And 3.6.0 is the first version of hhvm whitch works completely with out any hacks with out codebase.

      And it is realy fast. In some situation it is almost 10x faster than zend php.

      Comment


      • #4
        opcache

        PHP's opcache doesn't kick in for scripts run from the console (unless a non-default variable is set) and I wonder if that's the case here. I don't see an indication either way in the article. ("opcache" isn't mentioned)

        Comment


        • #5
          PHP is boring

          Shitty standard library.
          Horribly inconsistent functions.
          No class/method decorators.
          No asynchronous operations.
          Limited OOP with no OO on strings, integers and arrays.

          Comment


          • #6
            Try
            Code:
            apc.enable_cli=1
            for a comparison that is not apples vs. bananas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by xnor View Post
              Try
              Code:
              apc.enable_cli=1
              for a comparison that is not apples vs. bananas.
              opcache.enable_cli=1 on php 5.5+

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
                opcache.enable_cli=1 on php 5.5+
                Oh right. Should have mentioned with 5.4 on Debian stable.

                Reduced execution time by more than half btw.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I only use php for make rest api, then most of the development is in the frontend with angularjs clients. The performance that I'm worried is about javascript and mysql.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                    I only use php for make rest api, then most of the development is in the frontend with angularjs clients. The performance that I'm worried is about javascript and mysql.
                    Oh I love those angular sites. I hit one from a search link, see absolute garbage because I use NoScript, so I hit back and try another link until I find something that you know, actually uses HTML.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X