Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++ Filesystem Technical Specification Approved

Phoronix: C++ Filesystem Technical Specification Approved

The C++ file-system technical specification has been unanimously approved for the ISO C++ committee...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

omg thanks, looking toward using this!

Comment

Code:
      dot:
                  The filename consisting solely of a single period character (.).

dot-dot:
                  The filename consisting solely of two period characters (..).
      My eyes are bleeding.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        Code:
        dot:
                    The filename consisting solely of a single period character (.).

dot-dot:
                    The filename consisting solely of two period characters (..).
        My eyes are bleeding.
        You mean because they didn't use semantically meaningful names such as 'self' and 'parent'?

Comment

What bothers me with this standards is that it seems to focus on a particular conception of how file systems should be, but might leave in the dust experimental stuff like semantic filesystems, or systems that do not have the concept of a file/folder hierarchy...

Comment

About time for a copy_file function in the standard. Anyone know if C will get one soon?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              What bothers me with this standards is that it seems to focus on a particular conception of how file systems should be, but might leave in the dust experimental stuff like semantic filesystems, or systems that do not have the concept of a file/folder hierarchy...
              What bothers me is the notion that semantic systems are "better" or should be considered for standardization- they're experimental. Pretty much all of what you talk to has the same status overall.

That means NO INCLUSION. Get it worked out and effective where it makes sense and the standard will be extended. If you think that they need to be accounted for, you misunderstand what a standard is supposed to be about.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                <sarcasm>
                They should rename it to "thing", let's make a standard for "thing"s, and then it'll be capable of representing every"thing".
                </sarcasm>

Comment

symlink, hardlink? Why not just use the real POSIX API if you are just going to make a POSIX specific API?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                    You mean because they didn't use semantically meaningful names such as 'self' and 'parent'?
                    Using 'self' and 'parent' in a grammar definition is a bad idea because those words are keywords in several languages. Translating the grammar document into the parser would then require using names which are different in the program and in the document. That leads to confusion.

Comment

Working...
                    X