Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mono Brings C# To The Unreal Engine 4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mono Brings C# To The Unreal Engine 4

    Phoronix: Mono Brings C# To The Unreal Engine 4

    Miguel de Icaza has announced Mono for the Unreal Engine 4 today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyMTg

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Mono Brings C# To The Unreal Engine 4

    Miguel de Icaza has announced Mono for the Unreal Engine 4 today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyMTg
    United Engine? Do you mean Unity engine?

    Comment


    • #3
      C# and .NET Framework are great! <3

      Comment


      • #4
        FYI the reason unity abandoned mono was because they changed their license to have royalties when embedded... Xamarin did not do this out of the kindness of their heart, you're paying for it

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          C# and .NET Framework are great! <3
          One man less who is able to read. Mono not .Net.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            FYI the reason unity abandoned mono was because they changed their license to have royalties when embedded... Xamarin did not do this out of the kindness of their heart, you're paying for it
            Source? a quick google search reveals no such results

            Comment


            • #7
              I see nothing on Unity's web page indicating support of what peppercats said and in fact the documentation clearly states they're using the mono runtime
              http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptingConcepts.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Source? a quick google search reveals no such results
                http://www.mono-project.com/docs/faq/licensing/
                If your organization intends to redistribute software which embeds or bundles Mono, but is unable to comply with the terms of GNU LGPL v2, the Ultimate Edition may be right for you.

                All sources report to the "Ultimate Edition" being 10% of your revenue.

                Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I see nothing on Unity's web page indicating support of what peppercats said and in fact the documentation clearly states they're using the mono runtime
                http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptingConcepts.html
                Unity has been at the same mono version for 4-5 years due to licensing and they announced earlier this year they're replacing it with their own custom AOT .NET IL compiler(IL2CPP)
                http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/20/...ting-in-unity/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  http://www.mono-project.com/docs/faq/licensing/
                  If your organization intends to redistribute software which embeds or bundles Mono, but is unable to comply with the terms of GNU LGPL v2, the Ultimate Edition may be right for you.

                  All sources report to the "Ultimate Edition" being 10% of your revenue.



                  Unity has been at the same mono version for 4-5 years due to licensing and they announced earlier this year they're replacing it with their own custom AOT .NET IL compiler(IL2CPP)
                  http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/20/...ting-in-unity/
                  From that link

                  "IL2CPP is not recreating the whole .NET or Mono toolchain. We will continue to use the Mono C# compiler (and perhaps later, Roslyn). We will continue to use the Mono class libraries. All currently supported features and 3rd party libraries which work with Mono AOT should continue to work with IL2CPP. We are only seeking to provide a replacement for the Mono VM and AOT compiler, and will keep on leveraging the wonderful Mono Project."

                  It appears that they just changed one and only one part so that they can compile to C++ like the rest of their toolchain. They haven't abondoned Mono itself. Xamarin is offering a commercial license as an alternative to their LGPL'ed runtime. That is very similar to what Digia/Qt Company does. Not something I prefer but nothing unusual either.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So Unity is only using GPL Mono, what about UE?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X