Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source .NET Fans Push Its New Foundation

Phoronix: Open-Source .NET Fans Push Its New Foundation

This year at Microsoft's Build Developer Conference a .NET Foundation was announced to steward the "open-source technologies for .NET" While many open-source fans aren't too enthusiastic about .NET in any capacity, the .NET Foundation is beginning to move forward...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgxNDQ

C++11 and Qt5 anyday over .NET/Java/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      I'm trying to find a purpose to your post other than starting a flamewar and I cannot see any.

No substance or arguments (as this debate could ever be constructive anyway), just blind pushing of your own preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        Really? How about Go + QML?

Comment

I'll have to agree with ClosureSpin on this one. There is nothing that is
          inherently wrong/right with .NET and/or C#. It certainly has its merits,
          and the documentation is unprecedented, not to mention developer cost.
          Opensource does not have to use assembler to be opensource

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
            I'll have to agree with ClosureSpin on this one. There is nothing that is
            inherently wrong/right with .NET and/or C#. It certainly has its merits,
            and the documentation is unprecedented, not to mention developer cost.
            Opensource does not have to use assembler to be opensource
            Jerkass Has a Point though. WinForms on Linux is still a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
              Then use GTK# or Xwt or in the near future QtSharp. Given how easy C# makes separating your core from your UIs, if a project is open source it's kind of silly to whine about GUI toolkits. I personally look forward to mixing C# and Qt/QML though.

Comment

At least the DotNetFoundation forums are running Discourse. Crufty old PHP-based forums with 90's UX (like this one) give me hives.

Comment

I love C# and .NET, it is awesome!

I also code in Java, Python, PHP, etc. But C# is my favorite language.

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
                    Agreed, but as someone said, there is GTK# and others. Also, GUI is a very small part
                    of .NET framework, there is a plethora of great, useable libraries.

Finally, somehow I think him mentioning .NET and Java together and comparing them
                    to Qt has something to do with their VM "heritage", rather than GUI. But I might be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X