Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Compiler Optimization Benchmarks With GCC 4.10 (GCC 5.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    -mtune= only selects the CPU type for instruction scheduling. -march= selects the CPU type for the instructions to use.

This certainly makes a difference, but it does not show with just every application. This is what the article is trying to present by the way. For example -march=k8 will select the standard x86 instruction set up to and include SSE2, -march=amdfam10 will further include SSE3 and SSE4A instructions, and -march=bdver1 will also include SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and AVX instructions.

Whereas -mtune=k8 will tell the compiler to schedule instructions for a L1=64k/L2=512k configuration and that moving an MMX/SSE register to integer has got a cost of 5. Using -mtune=amdfam10 will make it use the same L1/L2 configuration, but sets the cost of MMX/SEE to integer conversions down to 3. And -mtune=bdver1 will use L1=16k/L2=2048k for cache sizes and sets the cost down to 2.

There are a lot more parameters hidden behind these switches. These are just some of the parameters used by GCC to make its decisions. The parameter "generic" will simply pick good, average values for all of these parameters. The differences will not show unless you know what exactly to look for and by choosing an application that you know of will benefit significantly from it. Only with very precise benchmarking tools and setups can one also detect the difference this makes for other applications. The result will usually vary so much, that one needs to make many runs before a clear difference becomes visible, because these will only be tiny and the variations will add a lot of noise into the measurements. Hence the focus on ImageMagick and C-Ray.

What makes this special for gcc is that it is not a simple thing to just turn code into machine instructions. The compiler needs to detected patterns in the code before it can decide to use the newer SSE4 and AVX instructions over the older MMX/SSE/SSE2 ones. And putting this into a compiler and making it use every new, last feature of new CPUs is a challenge.
    Perfectly explained.

Comment

-mtune= only selects the CPU type for instruction scheduling. -march= selects the CPU type for the instructions to use.
      Yes, it's called generic optimization. The compiler will generate multiple versions of the very same code and decide on runtime what version to use.

This certainly makes a difference, but it does not show with just every application. This is what the article is trying to present by the way. For example -march=k8 will select the standard x86 instruction set up to and include SSE2, -march=amdfam10 will further include SSE3 and SSE4A instructions, and -march=bdver1 will also include SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and AVX instructions.
      The article wants to present the influence of different architecture optimizations on the performance. But this has nothing to do with runtime CPU dispatching.

[...]
      There are a lot more parameters hidden behind these switches. These are just some of the parameters used by GCC to make its decisions. The parameter "generic" will simply pick good, average values for all of these parameters. The differences will not show unless you know what exactly to look for and by choosing an application that you know of will benefit significantly from it. Only with very precise benchmarking tools and setups can one also detect the difference this makes for other applications. The result will usually vary so much, that one needs to make many runs before a clear difference becomes visible, because these will only be tiny and the variations will add a lot of noise into the measurements. Hence the focus on ImageMagick and C-Ray.
      And that's exactly what I benchmarked maybe a year ago. mtune=generic vs march=native on my E-350 for C-Ray and Graphics-Magick. And using the current compiler of that time (I guess it was gcc 4.7.x) there was no difference. I'm redoing the benchmark to check if it's still true for gcc 4.9. Of curse these results only affect this very CPU using the current compiler -- as every scientific result.

Obviously, if you are doing numeric simulations, you will compile using march=native, but for most distribution packages, this won't make a difference. When I got my E-350, I compiled a lot of packages using my own CFLAGS in order to get most out of this CPU, however, now I'm simply using the distribution provided packages.

My point is only to include mtune=generic in these benckmarks to get a glimpse if generic tuning does a good job for this cpu (could be interesting for the compiler people).

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        I once thought that, too. Then I benchmarked my bulldozer: mtune=generic vs. march=native. And guess what? There was no difference! That's why I'd like to see mtune =generic in these benchmarks, too. After all, this is what you'll roughly get from the distributions.
        I believe on x64 that generic == k8

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          ArchLinux uses these:

CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
          CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
          CXXFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
          LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro"
          Other binary distributions should use something similar, maybe with special flags for certain packages as e.g. lame.

Comment

Yes, it's called generic optimization. The compiler will generate multiple versions of the very same code and decide on runtime what version to use.
            It does not matter what it is called, it is not being done here.

Some applications do have code to detect the CPU at run-time and can switch to using different functions or plugins, which then make use of a particular instruction set. However, such features need to be put into the code by the programmer and do not come automatically by using gcc.

I suggest you read the documentation.

Originally posted by oleid
            My point is only to include mtune=generic in these benckmarks to get a glimpse if generic tuning does a good job for this cpu (could be interesting for the compiler people).
            Yeah, and I would like to see some strippers, but this would also not be quite on the topic of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              No. generic means the standard instruction set including 64bit extensions. It does not include MMX, SSE or AVX. k8 includes MMX, SSE and SSE2. It would be rather pointless to try and to optimize audio/video applications with only generic.

Tuning with generic does not match any of the processors (neither AMD or Intel CPUs from what I have seen). But it is somewhat closer to k8 than it is to amdfam10 and bdver1.

You can find the full details about it in $TOPDIR/gcc/config/i386/i386.c of gcc.
              Last edited by sdack; 17 August 2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

It does not matter what it is called, it is not being done here.

Some applications do have code to detect the CPU at run-time and can switch to using different functions or plugins, which then make use of a particular instruction set. However, such features need to be put into the code by the programmer and do not come automatically by using gcc.
                My bad. The Intel compiler has this cpu dispatcher, not the gnu compiler. It's the cause why AMD often has a disadvantage in certain benchmarks.

Yeah, and I would like to see some strippers, but this would also not be quite on the topic of the article.
                It seems as if you are a bit cranky... I suggest you should visit those strippers

Michael reads the comments to his articles, that's why this is the proper place for suggestions.

Comment

My bad. The Intel compiler has this cpu dispatcher, not the gnu compiler. It's the cause why AMD often has a disadvantage in certain benchmarks.

It seems as if you are a bit cranky... I suggest you should visit those strippers

Michael reads the comments to his articles, that's why this is the proper place for suggestions.
                  No, I was not being cranky. Maybe I was a bit cocky, but what does this bother you? Best for you is to concern yourself with the topic and not with people's feelings. Maybe you then will make less mistakes. Who knows?!

Of course can you request it, but it is pointless. 4.10 is in an early stage. It still has missing code, bugs and regressions in it. So whatever you could get from it is meaningless. Even the article itself has a chance to give a false picture, because the gains shown could be the result of bugs or incomplete code and become less once 4.10 is stable. But to remain optimistic... chances are these gains are real.

Benchmarking with generic then costs additional time. But let us assume it would show generic as being faster than the other options. All it would tell you is that it has a regression at this time. This would be no news. It is already known that the compiler is still under development. If it would show to be slower, then it would also only confirm what is to be expected and the news would be in the gains coming from the other options. As it so happens is this exactly what the article focuses on and it delivers while no time was wasted.

So you can keep suggesting ideas. I rather stick to hope, and hope to get continuous news updates like these, which keep it brief and informative without being bloated and taking too much time to produce. The less time gets spend on it the more time for other news becomes available. Don't you love quickies, too?

Comment

The article wants to present the influence of different architecture optimizations on the performance. But this has nothing to do with runtime CPU dispatching.

And that's exactly what I benchmarked maybe a year ago. mtune=generic vs march=native on my E-350 for C-Ray and Graphics-Magick. And using the current compiler of that time (I guess it was gcc 4.7.x) there was no difference. I'm redoing the benchmark to check if it's still true for gcc 4.9. Of curse these results only affect this very CPU using the current compiler -- as every scientific result.

Obviously, if you are doing numeric simulations, you will compile using march=native, but for most distribution packages, this won't make a difference. When I got my E-350, I compiled a lot of packages using my own CFLAGS in order to get most out of this CPU, however, now I'm simply using the distribution provided packages.

oleid, I have a E-350 too. Tried many benchmarks, even comparing Gentoo and Ubuntu and came to the following conclusion: there's little to no difference. And sometimes x86_64 Ubuntu binaries was a little faster than btver1 optimized binaries.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
                      oleid, I have a E-350 too. Tried many benchmarks, even comparing Gentoo and Ubuntu and came to the following conclusion: there's little to no difference. And sometimes x86_64 Ubuntu binaries was a little faster than btver1 optimized binaries.
                      Just in case you are not being aware of it: btver1 and bdver1 are not the same type of CPU. btver1 stands for the Bobcat APU, which is probably the CPU inside your E-350. bdver1 refers to the Bulldozer CPU like the FX8150. The later is also the one with SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and AVX instructions, which are missing from the Bobcat. So while the article shows results for bdver1 will this be of no meaning for your E-350. You should expect results similar to the Phenom (aka K10, amdfam10 or Barcelona) with your E-350 though.
                      Last edited by sdack; 17 August 2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X