Builder: A New Development IDE Being Built For GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the303 View Post
    Do you know what your logic brought? This X.org bullshit. Sticking to some outdated thing way longer than necessary.
    People did try to build new things, even back in the mid 1990 (anybody remember Berlin/fresco project?). This forum post lists a couple of those. So it is not that there were no shiny new things, it is that nobody seriously felt the need to move away from X11. Most people do not do so today!

That has little to do with wanting people to not throw code out of the window once it actually starts to become useful for other people:-)
    Last edited by Karl Napf; 31 July 2014, 07:57 AM. Reason: Fix the link markup

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Napf View Post
      Yeap, there is the glade UI builder and that is planned to be integrated according to the slides.

The big thing is indeed support for all the different languages. But from what the slides say he does not even want to address this but use gtk sourceview instead and maybe use clang for some things and languages in other places. So you are basically guaranteed to get sucky syntax highlighting and code completion -- as bad as you get it in e.g. gedit or anjuta.

The whole architecture is unsuited to do something better: It is centered around stand alone applications sharing data via D-Bus (not exactly famous for its high bandwidth/high throughput, but of course kdbus will fix all that at some point in the future) that get integrated into one UI. That is great architecture for loosely coupled applications as you typically find in a desktop session, but not great for wiring several distinct pieces for access to one huge pool of data.
      It should be perfectly possible to use gtksourceview and add a external language parser. As I understands it this is how xamarin studio/ mono develop do with gtksourceview. (I have never tried it).
      Kdevelop do the same thing and reuse the editing component from kate. In the past when kvim still existed you could even use vim as editng component in kdevelop.
      Last edited by Akka; 31 July 2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

hmm I thought we are talking about IDEs, this gui designer tools u talk about are not IDEs, at least wikipedia has there another term for that:

U can maybe use them as plugin for a ide or the other way around, but its not a IDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
          It should be perfectly possible to use gtksourceview and add a external language parser.
          Hmmm... you are right. Sorry, I should have done more reading up on gtk-sourceview. So far I have not seen any editor based on it that did proper syntax highlighting, so I assumed that was a the only way gtk-sourceview could work, while it apparently can do better and I just have not seen anybody care to actually implement that.

Comment

i wonder

I wonder what existing IDE will be used to create this brand new IDE.

Comment

They take it unnecessarily far

Vala is perfect fit for GNOME. Period. They should make it a cross-platform Vala IDE. I see abandoned gnome/gtk projects and the problem is IMHO C. It is too much to expect from a hobby developer. There are many C IDEs out there. There are many Python IDEs out there. JS is a s**t. If they want something faster? D is an answer, OCaml is an answer, GO is an answer but Vala should have first class support. It is made for GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by fithisux View Post
                Vala is perfect fit for GNOME. Period. They should make it a cross-platform Vala IDE. I see abandoned gnome/gtk projects and the problem is IMHO C. It is too much to expect from a hobby developer. There are many C IDEs out there. There are many Python IDEs out there. JS is a s**t. If they want something faster? D is an answer, OCaml is an answer, GO is an answer but Vala should have first class support. It is made for GNOME.
                Why not C++11?

Comment

What about https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/IDE#Tentative_Design ?

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                    Why not C++11?
                    I have not problem with C++11 but it will take a lot of time to create an IDE. I think there are many IDEs out there that support C++11. AFAIK C++11 compliant compilers are limited to two, clang/gcc. But vala in theory can use many c compilers. Personally I think learning C++ is a big investment in time and effort. Vala is for everyone. Even for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                      Why not C++11?
                      Oh, come on, Gnome was founded so people could hack on an desktop environment without learning C++

Comment

Working...
                      X