Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheOne
    replied
    It seems that people here talking bullcrap about the language havent played with it since version 4. Please inform your selfs before... the language now even supports namespaces, closures, generators, etc... pretty up to date for me. Theres even a framework for async stuff like nodejs named reactphp. Also hhvm has evolved the language with scalar type hinting and class templates. At leasr scalar type hinting is going to make it into php 5.7. In any case I agree with othe poster that next release should just be 5.7 and 7.0 when they add jit to phpng which is the 5.7 branch

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by the303 View Post
    It also abstracts a lot of HTML designing as my friend says.
    I hope it's not this kind of nightmare like qcodo. V in MVC doesn't mean that you must have helpers for creating tables.

Leave a comment:

• the303
    replied
    Originally posted by michal View Post
    The list of PHP flaws is quite long. But from my POV most of these flaws are not meaningful.

For me the biggest PHP issue is speed. I like modern PHP frameworks.

On the other hand you have really good and fast language - C++ that lacks of really good web framework. There is nothing like C++ Symfony or Zend with good ORM.

So you have crappy language or crappy frameworks
    There is one called Wt. I have heard it is quite like Qt and handles a lot of things and using modern web technologies. It also abstracts a lot of HTML designing as my friend says. I haven't dived into it personally though.
    Last edited by the303; 22 July 2014, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Anyway, I read that PHP is a wacky and funny language with childish/rushed decisions because its author had issues, is it still true and will it be true for PHP 7?
    That seems an odd thing to say. PHP is almost twenty years old, and most of it's flaws aren't due to quirks of the author - they're because they seemed like good ideas back at the time when building web pages with something like PHP was a real novelty.. True, it doesn't compare so well after so all those years - the design is showing it's age - but don't forget that when comparing it with modern frameworks.

PHP is *old* by the standards of web trends... for comparison, there was no such thing as CSS when the first version of PHP was released, and Javascript was a little-used novelty. Netscape 3 was considered a state-of-the-art browser, and Internet Explorer, that bane of web developers, had yet to be released.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    They need to make a new version called NoPHP.

Leave a comment:

• bison
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: PHP5's Successor Might Be PHP7

PHP developers are currently debating whether the next-generation version of the PHP programming language is to be known as PHP 6 or PHP 7...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0NjE
    I really think Perl developers need to do something like this -- just admit that they bit off too much and take another run at it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by gufide View Post
    I heard that cppcms was not that bad, but I never tryed.
    CppCMS if well documented - compared to other C++ frameworks, but it's still not enough. There is a thing called cppcmsskel - that might help if you want to start using cppcms, but it's not well documented and there was no mysql/postgresql support when I tried it. Unfortunately I don't have much time for such things like framework development, so I can not help improve situation.

Maybe someday I'll learn WT and I'll buy commercial license for this framework. But there is no large market for web services in c++, so I don't have any pressure. I've only one project in my mind that could be a killer app because of c++ performance.

Leave a comment:

• gufide
    replied
    Originally posted by michal View Post
    The list of PHP flaws is quite long. But from my POV most of these flaws are not meaningful.

On the other hand you have really good and fast language - C++ that lacks of really good web framework. There is nothing like C++ Symfony or Zend with good ORM.

You don't have a C++ symfony, but you got orm with annotation: http://www.codesynthesis.com/products/odb/

EDIT: I agree so much with you. PHP is one of the worst language but with the best tool for the web. We really need a symfony for C++ or something like that. I heard that cppcms was not that bad, but I never tryed.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Yeah, if the book is about server-side programming and is older than like 3 years - throw it in the trash can.

Anyway, I read that PHP is a wacky and funny language with childish/rushed decisions because its author had issues, is it still true and will it be true for PHP 7?
    PHP is so broken that I'm skeptical they could fix all of the problems and still have something existing PHP programmers would recognize.

Read PHP: a fractal of bad design and then realize that it's not a complete list.

(eg. The article doesn't mention that it's literally impossible to get raw decoded pixel data more efficiently than calling imagecolorat() once per pixel when using the PHP GD bindings because they wrap the C API so directly that they don't provide a replacement for "The handle is just a pointer. Dereference it if you need raw pixel data for something like equality comparison of two decoded lossless images.")
    Last edited by ssokolow; 21 July 2014, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X