Valve Working Towards A New Steam Runtime SDK With GCC/Clang Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alderon View Post
    He probably wanted to hear that he's a hero for being rude towards developers who're giving their best and he's most certainly sure that it was his rudeness that got them working.
    In that regard this is a bad lesson because when he believes that he got rewarded for behaving in a bad manner he'll just keep on doing it.

And that's the huge problem with our Linux community: other OSs certainly do have users with bad behaviour, too. But when you're such a small community those people just stand out from the crowd even more and after a short period of time everyone believes that Linux only has those people and simply doesn't want to make business with them.
    Or perhaps he was just trying to point out that most Linux developers are elitist assholes and there is no such thing like a proper customer service policy nowhere near Linux world. If that was a bug tracker for a game company like CDProjekt or Blizzard, that conversation (and my reaction) wouldn't even happen, cause they would actually do their fuckin' job and take a small peak at log I provided (like they should) instead of just trying to move on from an issue created by outdated Steam libs (which are older than those from Ubuntu 14.04, that's why Mesa built against Ubuntu 14.04 libs had issues).

I'm no hero, I'm a paying customer and I just want to be treated that way. Unfortunatly this is what happens when a company has a monopoly (which Valve does in digital game distribution market) and doesn't give a fuck about customers anymore. What however does suprise me is 100% support for such unacceptable behaviour by pretty much everyone in here and at that Github, this is very odd and a sign of a serious problem in customer - business relations in Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
      Unfortunatly this is what happens when a company has a monopoly (which Valve does in digital game distribution market) and doesn't give a fuck about customers anymore.
      If you do not like Valve. Just don't buy their products. I also completely disagree with the company (and companies like it) mostly regarding their shortsighted DRM and so avoid any of their software like the plague. However, what I do not do, is attempt to upset their developers on github who are probably working as hard as they can (thus is the nature of the game dev industry) and do not really have a say in how Valve as a company handles its policies anyway.

Originally posted by Alderon View Post
      And that's the huge problem with our Linux community: other OSs certainly do have users with bad behaviour, too..
      This issue does not really represent Linux communities. It represents consumer / gamer culture. Something that is unfortunately now being brought to open-source operating systems along with companies like Valve.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 23 June 2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Or perhaps he was just trying to point out that most Linux developers are elitist assholes...
        All generalizations are false, including this one. --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm no hero, I'm a paying customer and I just want to be treated that way. Unfortunatly this is what happens when a company has a monopoly (which Valve does in digital game distribution market) and doesn't give a fuck about customers anymore. What however does suprise me is 100% support for such unacceptable behaviour by pretty much everyone in here and at that Github, this is very odd and a sign of a serious problem in customer - business relations in Linux community.
          You keep saying that Valve wasn't doing their job but you also made it clear that you thought their job included contacting your PPA provider directly to try to figure out exactly what YOU did to mess up your own system by overwritting libraries with versions incompatible with Steam. You expected them to contact a random PPA to sort out your own package tinkering. That's why EVERYBODY in both this and the github thread thought you were being an unreasonable dick. Maybe you should take the hint.

I guess I'll have to go to github and complain about Valve's shit customer service because they never contacted my grandmother to make sure she knew what games I wanted for my birthday.

Comment

Or perhaps he was just trying to point out that most Linux developers are elitist assholes and there is no such thing like a proper customer service policy nowhere near Linux world. If that was a bug tracker for a game company like CDProjekt or Blizzard, that conversation (and my reaction) wouldn't even happen, cause they would actually do their fuckin' job and take a small peak at log I provided (like they should) instead of just trying to move on from an issue created by outdated Steam libs (which are older than those from Ubuntu 14.04, that's why Mesa built against Ubuntu 14.04 libs had issues).
            Nope, all commercial customer service (and most FOSS support channels) that I've seen has a rule/clause/tradition that says 'if you're using something non-standard or known-unstable, come back when you can reproduce your problem without it'.

This goes regardless of whether the problem does turn out to be with the non-standard thing or not - the significant chance that it is, and the difficulty of proving that from the support end, automatically makes it a waste of dev time that could be spent doing something useful.

When you're using a git version (that's not necessarily stable by its very nature) and a completely unofficial PPA that replaces many core packages, your chances of getting anyone to try reproducing your bug are poor. When you act like an obnoxious twat and start swearing at the people you're demanding help from, those chances drop to nil. Don't.

Comment

Unfortunatly this is what happens when a company has a monopoly (which Valve does in digital game distribution market) and doesn't give a fuck about customers anymore.
              Valve has no such thing. There's GoG, and EA's thing (Origin, ugh) too.

Comment

Working...
              X