Mono Brings C# To The PlayStation 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    (PS4 and XBox one are more or less mutually exchangeable if you look only at the hardware).
    Not really.... Besides the DDR3 vs GDDR5 Ram the PS4 also has 50% more computation units on its gpu which

I hear is rather important for gaming.

Comment

@DrYaK
      I totally agree, but I was actually referring to the software side of things. Consoles are now starting to depend on PC software technologies (Mono, HTML, etc) instead of the highly optimized low level code that dominated previous generations. I remember how the PSN store's responsiveness on PS3 took a nose dive when they switched to the new HTML based store.

Comment

Nowadays, the consoles are all just re-branded PCs
        Consoles were always personal use computers. That really hasn't changed.

All modern consoles [...] don't even attempt to compete on the hardware or the offered performance [...] they are marketed for convenince [sic]
        Same with Windows/Linux/Mac workstation PCs. They never even attempted to match the performance of supercomputers. They were marketed for more modest, accessible, general purpose computing.

The other issue is fixed spec. The computer you have is always older and slower than the newer one that you can buy. And the instant you buy one and use it, there is already something newer and better. This isn't a new phenomenon. The second someone bought an Atari 2600, there were newer and better electronic components on the market. From a computing power perspective, fixed spec is terrible, and you want to continuously buy new hardware every minute. From a practical market perspective, gaming consumers don't want to rebuy hardware frequently, and some would rather buy slower hardware that has a more established game catalog than faster hardware, and game developers want to target mass audiences not just the bleeding edge. When you consider those effects, fixed spec has some advantage, which is why companies do it, even if it will always lose a computing power comparison.

Meanwhile, Valve has started the other way around: its has build a very strong online platform, with a vibrant community, lots of users, a immense library ranging from AAA titles to small indies, with ties into various other project (collaboration with Humble-Bundle would be an example).
        It has already successfully become what Sony and Microsoft dream to reach: Steam is "the Google" or the "Facebook" (pick your favorite apple-to-orange comparison metaphor) of Games.
        It "merely needs" to gets its own console.
        Which in fact won't be that much complicated given the current trend: no console-maker is heavily competing on the hardware.

The key point distinguishers: the platform, the network and the huge library - they already have it in advance before even starting the competition, whereas Microsoft and Sony are still clumsily trying to duplicate the success.

This is like any other contentious platform flame war: you are cheering for your favorite and rooting against the competition; praising the former and insulting the latter.

As a consumer, you should enjoy what you like for whatever reasons that you want, but I don't see any basis to your points beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Consoles are now starting to depend on PC software technologies (Mono, HTML, etc) instead of the highly optimized low level code that dominated previous generations.
          I disagree.

New games still use highly optimized low level code for low level graphics. Old games used non-optimized high level stuff like Lua for higher level game logic. That hasn't changed.

Games made entirely in Mono or HTML tend to be the less graphically intensive games, like the featured Towerfall Ascension which is extremely graphically primitive.

The Unity engine uses Mono or JavaScript for higher level stuff, but the low level engine is in C and other highly optimized low level code. Unity isn't new either.

Java seems to have pretty high performance as well: a lot of libgdx games and a few Java OpenGL games like Wakfu, Minecraft, and I think Jake.

Comment

Working...
          X