Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

Phoronix: Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

At long last Oracle has officially made available Java 8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oracle doesn't distribute a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu, but it can be generated with java-package 0.53:

Code:
    $ apt-get install java-package
    $ make-jpkg jdk-8-linux-x64.tar.gz

Comment

Originally posted by ebourg View Post
      Oracle doesn't distribute a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu, but it can be generated with java-package 0.53:

Code:
      $ apt-get install java-package
      $ make-jpkg jdk-8-linux-x64.tar.gz
      i hate that they dont provide one -.-
      i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
      for easy install and update.

is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?

Comment

because they love red hat

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
        i hate that they dont provide one -.-
        i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
        for easy install and update.

is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?

because they love red hat, like intel do with this openclsdk, but a ppa exists, not really a problem

Comment

Thanks for the props, op!

I just expand the .tar.gz archive into ~/opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0/. For development, it's best not to use the repo system, hence tools like rbenv in Ruby.

The only advantage to a repository version of Java is to support other Java apps in the repo.

Jigsaw supposedly will make application distribution a lot better on Linux in Java 9

Comment

Awesome! Switching as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
              I just expand the .tar.gz archive into ~/opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0/. For development, it's best not to use the repo system, hence tools like rbenv in Ruby.
              We do the same... via a somewhat arcane packaging process, our dev machines at work have all the different versions of our techstack parallel-installed under /opt, so there's a directory with about eight different Java versions in it, ranging from 1.4 to 7. I'll have to see if I can clean out any of the old versions when we start looking at 8...

Comment

the problem of non-transparent icons in the system tray. Does this corrected?
                since I enter the world gnu / linux, this aesthetic problem has always existed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post

The only advantage to a repository version of Java is to support other Java apps in the repo.
                  Meh, I just use apt to install openjdk[78]. That way I get updates as they're tagged/built, and given that OpenJDK is the official reference platform for Oracle JDK (at least I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect), I figure I'm not missing much.

Comment

Is OpenJDK 8 stable and working well?

Comment

Working...
                    X