Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ebourg View Post
    Oracle withdrew the "Operating System Distributor License for Java" (DLJ) to promote OpenJDK, the "better thing" you are looking for is there:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/openjdk-7
    That does not sound like good news at all :P
    I find openJDK slower and fonts are uglyer then oracle's java.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
      Any example or benchmark?

Comment

Originally posted by ebourg View Post
        Any example or benchmark?
        I'd like to see this too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          That does not sound like good news at all :P
          Can you post screenshots to compare the difference in fonts?

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
            Can I play Minecraft on it, host JIRA/Confluence or use it for shitty government services that need Java in the browser?
            I can't see why not... it *is* essentially the same codebase that the official Oracle releases are built from... there might be some differences, but not major ones.

For what it's worth, there's a big difference between earlier and later OpenJDK versions - the earliest versions had a lot more differences from the Sun/Oracle codebase than the newer ones. I don't recall at which point this changed, but current versions certainly work fine...
            Last edited by Delgarde; 20 March 2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

To all pointing out that I indeed can play Minecraft with OpenJDK ... I will try it next time but also judging from the tutorials lengths it is not as straightforward. Last time it was a major disappointment and I tried literally everything to NOT install the official JVM blob. Unfortunately at end of the day I wanted to simply play the damn game so I yielded. :-)
              Anyway, I am in favor of OPEN competing technologies so if Java/JVM can be open that I am good with that (but the applets must go).

Comment

To all pointing out that I indeed can play Minecraft with OpenJDK ... I will try it next time but also judging from the tutorials lengths it is not as straightforward. Last time it was a major disappointment and I tried literally everything to NOT install the official JVM blob. Unfortunately at end of the day I wanted to simply play the damn game so I yielded. :-)
                Anyway, I am in favor of OPEN competing technologies so if Java/JVM can be open that I am good with that (but the applets must go).
                I know i did it several times on Ubuntu last year with out issues, install OpenJDK, douple click the minecraft.jar

Comment

Minecraft has been working with OpenJDK since the beginning... OpenJDK is essentially the same as Oracles binary one minus a few extra packages if I remember correctly.

What tutorials lengths are you talking about?

On a Debian based system, run as root:

Code:
                  apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
                  Then double-click on minecraft.jar and it should just work if you installed your graphics drivers properly. If you can't run it by double clicking for whatever reason (depends on your desktop environment), you can run in the terminal:
                  Code:
                  java -jar minecraft.jar
                  in the folder where the minecraft jar is located and it should run.

Comment

I can independently confirm that it works fine with Minecraft:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
                    cd ~/opt/minecraft
                    /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java -jar minecraft.jar
                    the game ran flawlessly. I only played for a minute or so.

I do remember older versions of OpenJDK being not as good as the official releases. Obviously, the recent 7+ OpenJDK builds are much more similar to the official release.

Comment

Working...
                    X