Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Meh, I just use apt to install openjdk[78]. That way I get updates as they're tagged/built, and given that OpenJDK is the official reference platform for Oracle JDK (at least I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect), I figure I'm not missing much.
    You get the HotSpot JVM with Oracle's version.

Not sure what VM OpenJDK uses. At least, in v6 and v7 it wasn't HotSpot.

Comment

It is deeply ironic how you all rush to install Oracle's binary blobs and yet bash open source Mono in different threads. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        We do the same... via a somewhat arcane packaging process, our dev machines at work have all the different versions of our techstack parallel-installed under /opt, so there's a directory with about eight different Java versions in it, ranging from 1.4 to 7. I'll have to see if I can clean out any of the old versions when we start looking at 8...
        Hey folks,

If you are to use multiple versions of a package, you can have a look at Lmod, this ease a lot the process of managing multiple versions of a package, properly.

Explanation here : https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/lmod

Code here (GPL) : http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmod/

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

You get Hotspot with OpenJDK too (6, 7 or 8)

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
            It is deeply ironic how you all rush to install Oracle's binary blobs and yet bash open source Mono in different threads. Shame.
            For now the JVM is the lesser evil. Scala is a far superior language to either Java or C#. It runs on the JVM. If we can continue to ramp up the adoption of Scala then we can get the resources and person power to build our own Virtual Machine /native compilation, targeted at Linux free of Oracle's control..

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
              For now the JVM is the lesser evil. Scala is a far superior language to either Java or C#. It runs on the JVM. If we can continue to ramp up the adoption of Scala then we can get the resources and person power to build our own Virtual Machine /native compilation, targeted at Linux free of Oracle's control..
              You assume it is only Microsoft vs Oracle. I argue that Mono is outside of direct influence of MS. Granted, they try to copy all the stuff MS does but they also do innovative things like Ahead-Of-Time compilation and arguably they became more portable than JVM ever was. It is a piece of cake to compile Mono on any random ARM boards and AOT allows you to compile it to Objective-C and heck, through LLVM you could probably run Mono on any JavaScript engine.

If you do not agree with my previous point then if it was Sun instead of Oracle perhaps I could agree with you on the lesser evil part but in my opinion Oracle is as evil as Microsoft is (some would argue that all corporations are evil but I would answer that some managements are more evil than others). So between Java and .NET it's two evil corporations and two major technology stacks which they control. A draw?

As for languages of choice, I heard lots of nice things about Scala but then I heard a lot of nice things about F#. F# as actually created initially on Mono and its creators postulate to not marginalize Mono. Let's talk about technology stacks because languages could obviously be implemented with different back-ends.

That said ... I personally think Mono could do much better by itself if it freed itself from Microsoft completely.

My final point is that Mono is a nice open piece of technology by itself and Java that everybody uses is a buggy insecure piece of blob. How to run Minecraft on any open source Java tech?

Comment

I have explained a quite logical basis for preferring JDK over .NET/CLR. I don't think you're trying to hear that or be reasonable about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                  I have explained a quite logical basis for preferring JDK over .NET/CLR. I don't think you're trying to hear that or be reasonable about it.
                  I do not see your explanation. I am certainly open to arguments but I hope I have also explained my priorities. I think that being able to compile your own stack (open source) is one of the biggest advantages. Obviously it would be insignificant if the platform did not have features and needed libraries and also the needs may vary significantly depending on the tools needed. JVM has a lot of mature solutions for sure. That said I am for example a heavy user of Node.JS and one could say it is totally immature and sure I encounter problems but being able to solve them quickly by good contact with developers, ability to fix issues by yourself and quickly develop modules makes it the most versatile platform I have used. I think Mono could have similar outreach like Node.JS if the developers steered a bit away from Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

As another user pointed out, it IS HotSpot in OpenJDK. Where did you get the idea that OpenJDK uses a different VM? (there are other VMs available for OpenJDK, but it's HotSpot for x86/x86-64 by default).

Comment

You can compile your own release of OpenJDK, I don't see your point.

Comment

Working...
                      X