Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I just stick to Perl now.
    Yes, because Perl6 has been such an easy migration.

Comment

I personally use python 3 regularly, along with Qt5 and a few other libraries. I'm pretty indifferent about the usage of each, and I simply don't care about the libraries that don't work in python 3. Considering most of the important libraries have already made the switch, I'd suggest other developers to move to 3 when they get the chance.

Also, it's surprisingly easy to switch. I had roughly 3000 lines of code written in python 2 and only had to change maybe 10 lines to make it work in python 3.

So far the only thing I don't like about python 3 is it seems a lot more picky about string encoding, where even C is sometimes simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        So far the only thing I don't like about python 3 is it seems a lot more picky about string encoding, where even C is sometimes simpler.
        My experience is that Python 3 makes working with strings and encodings simpler. While you can find the rare case where every string being unicode can make things more difficult, for most purposes this is an improvement over Python 2.

Comment

At work we have around three web apps using Python 3 already (from 3.3 up). Only the last one started on Python 3.3, and the first two were ported to this version. That required some noticeable amount of pull requests to packages found in the requirements (but usually it was like exception syntax, or print - fixable in few lines). Some more complex apps/libraries are still Python 2 only so not everything can work with 3.X yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
            My experience is that Python 3 makes working with strings and encodings simpler. While you can find the rare case where every string being unicode can make things more difficult, for most purposes this is an improvement over Python 2.
            Yes, encoding/decoding may be simpler, but in python 2 you rarely had the need to even deal with encoding in the first place. Regardless, it isn't really a big deal to me, just a little tedious at times (in comparison).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Yes, encoding/decoding may be simpler, but in python 2 you rarely had the need to even deal with encoding in the first place.
              Well, that may be the case if your users speak a language with an alphabet covered by ASCII. I've had to deal with encoding in pretty much every single project we've done. English isn't the only language most of us need to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?
                Most major/important libraries are available for Python 3 now:

Comment

Working...
                X