Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clang Lands A Virtual File-System

Phoronix: Clang Lands A Virtual File-System

LLVM's Clang compiler now has a virtual file-system implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With great software comes great bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      Why not tell the developer, he's probably unaware of this, I'm sure he'll listen to your wise conclusion.

Edit: I noticed it's just a few hundred LOCs, I thought it would take at least a few thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Why not tell the developer, he's probably unaware of this, I'm sure he'll listen to your wise conclusion.

Edit: I noticed it's just a few hundred LOCs, I thought it would take at least a few thousand.
        It is not really a virtual file-system, that would be bloat (hence the joke). It is really just an new index over data already availble (the install path). As such it is very little code, but also not a virtual file-system.

Comment

So, they're making things more efficient by doing path-mapping tricks in memory instead of expensive disk activity (in the form of unnecessary file copies), and you're calling that bloat?

Comment

The commit added only 300 lines of code...

Comment

It is not really a virtual file-system, that would be bloat (hence the joke). It is really just an new index over data already availble (the install path). As such it is very little code, but also not a virtual file-system.
              Quit while you're behind.

Comment

I think you buried the lead here. They're talking about implementing modules in C++. That's huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
                  I think you buried the lead here. They're talking about implementing modules in C++. That's huge.
                  Thats not actually not new news unless you missed some previous news stories. Modules, as opposed to tons of header files, are on the white board for the next C++ Spec update
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Thats not actually not new news unless you missed some previous news stories. Modules, as opposed to tons of header files, are on the white board for the next C++ Spec update
                    That sentence was a grammatical nightmare... Lets try this again.

Unless you've missed a few headlines, that is not actually 'new' news. Modules are supposed to a part of the next C++ Spec update, pdf on them here: http://llvm.org/devmtg/2012-11/Gregor-Modules.pdf
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X