X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brane215
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    You mean like compiler sources that their developers actually fully understand ?
    On the second thought - is this even allowed under L/GPL licence ?

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    Originally posted by Xake View Post
    Edit: so yeah, I care mostly because it is exiting what this means for the future.
    You mean like compiler sources that their developers actually fully understand ? Or at least this bit (who knows what else is in state of kludge) ?

How exciting !

Leave a comment:

• Xake
    replied
    Well, let me google that for you...

Originally posted by orzel View Post
    What is "reload" ?
    What is reload?

Reload is the GCC equivalent of Satan. See [gccsource:reload.c], [gccsource:reload1.c], and [gccsource:reload.h] if you have a brave soul. (You'll probably also wind up looking at [gccsource:local-alloc.c] and [gccsource:global.c], the register allocator proper.)
    http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/reload

In short t seems to be a bit of code that has become magic, that is it does loads of thing, but noone has really any knowledge anymore of how, and sometimes why. This makes the code hard to maintain and optimize. So getting rid of reload is probably one large step towards a cleaner codebase that is easier to understand, easier to maintain, and easier to optimize. So maybe getting rid or reloaded is for the maintainers of GCC the foothold to be able to get more performance out of GCC, resulting in what our little troll screams for.

Edit: so yeah, I care mostly because it is exiting what this means for the future.

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    What is "reload" ?
    My point EXACTLY. WTF really cares outside developer circle ?

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    It seems so obvious to everybody, but ...

What is "reload" ?

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    No, but I just couldn't survive that competition...
    Don't be shy, you're doing a good work here.

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    They could also hire a troll, are you employed?
    No, but I just couldn't survive that competition...
    Last edited by Brane215; 06 November 2012, 04:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Well then, that puts whole thing in entirely different perspective. Why don't they go for 6.0 to make bigger impact then ?
    They could also hire a troll, are you employed?

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Or, you know - they spend hours each day working on the compiler, and take a break for five minutes to argue on the mailing list.
    Well then, that puts whole thing in entirely different perspective. Why don't they go for 6.0 to make bigger impact then ?

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Instead of making real progress they seem to be drooling over stupid version number.
    Or, you know - they spend hours each day working on the compiler, and take a break for five minutes to argue on the mailing list.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X