Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking GCC 4.2 Through GCC 4.8 On AMD & Intel Hardware

Phoronix: Benchmarking GCC 4.2 Through GCC 4.8 On AMD & Intel Hardware

Here are benchmarks of all major GNU Compiler Collection releases from GCC 4.2.4 through the latest GCC 4.8 development build. Benchmarking was of the seven GCC compiler releases from an Intel Core i7 "Clarksfield" system and an AMD Opteron "Shanghai" workstation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if GCC hackers actually use PTS for regression testing? While its easy to benchmark and compare side-by-side, personally I have quite a trouble navigating via webinterface.. :/
    And huge thanks for the article!!

Comment

outdated hardware running at vastly different clock speeds and core counts being compared. This is the most uninformative article from Phoronix in a long time.. can we please compare a Bulldozer Opteron versus Intel's latest and have them run at similar clock speeds with the same number of hardware threads ("cores" for AMD and "threads" for Intel via hyperthreading)? or a Bulldozer Opteron versus an equally priced Intel? either way.

I know the AMD would probably get stomped, but that would be useful information, and it excited me to see that information so I came here to read it and got disappointed.

Comment

coder543, you seem to have missed the point of the article. It is comparing versions of GCC, not Intel vs. AMD.

Comment

A couple of interesting things I see:
          1. In C-Ray, intel was faster with gcc 4.2, amd ends up faster with gcc 4.7/4.8.
          2. In FLAC audio encoding, the stiuation is actually reversed (though the differences are smaller this time): amd start out on top end ends up at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
            coder543, you seem to have missed the point of the article. It is comparing versions of GCC, not Intel vs. AMD.
            the newer architectures have hugely different personalities and would respond to the different versions of GCC in completely unique ways that these don't.

Comment

That doesn't invalidate these results in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
                outdated hardware running at vastly different clock speeds and core counts being compared.
                They are not being compared. Only GCC versions are being compared. Perhaps you missed that each image has two groups of comparisons, one for the Intel system, one for the AMD system.

It's done in the correct way, so that you can compare the performance of the generated code relative to the machine. You are not supposed to compare the Intel results to the AMD results.

Comment

Michael,

What GCC flags did you use during testing?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Michael,

What GCC flags did you use during testing?
                    The compiler flags are underneath each graph. If any specific flags were used (e.g. -O3), they are listed beneath the graph for the individual test. The flags that each compiler was built with are at the bottom of the system specs table.

I'm guessing that for each of these tests, the flags are the default that are used in the individual PTS test profiles.

Comment

Working...
                    X