Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

Phoronix: GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

The GNU Compiler Collection 4.7.1 release is available as of this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully now 4.7 will get un-hardmasked in gentoo soon, I have a trinity notebook arriving in about a week and want 4.7's awesome bulldozer optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
      Hopefully now 4.7 will get un-hardmasked in gentoo soon, I have a trinity notebook arriving in about a week and want 4.7's awesome bulldozer optimizations.
      Could always unmask it - if you don't need anything listed in the 4.7 tracker. I'm going to take that dive myself in a few days, mostly because I want the extra C++11 support.

Comment

I was waiting for the .1 release too, for I hear LTO is finally stable and usable for most things.

Comment

117 bugs.

(char limitation)

Comment

Seems to be working so far, but generates far bigger code with -Os and only gets back to equivalent-sized binaries compared to 4.2 with -flto.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Seems to be working so far, but generates far bigger code with -Os and only gets back to equivalent-sized binaries compared to 4.2 with -flto.
              Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild? I plan on that, possibly followed by a few days of "oh bugger, that broke", but I hear that it's not too awful (if you set it up properly, of course).
              (note to self: leave libreoffice out, that thing takes too long to build)

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                There's still a number of packages that simply don't compile with gcc-4.7 until these are fixed it's unlikely it'll be hard unmasked

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild? I plan on that, possibly followed by a few days of "oh bugger, that broke", but I hear that it's not too awful (if you set it up properly, of course).
                  (note to self: leave libreoffice out, that thing takes too long to build)
                  LibreOffice isn't compiling with gcc-4.7 atm anyway

Comment

I've actually tested this on a KDE desktop PC. I've built the whole system (over 1000 packages) with GCC 4.7 and LTO. I posted my finding here:

GCC 4.7 was recently added to portage. It's still hard masked and not keyworded, but works fairly well. As with almost every new major rel...

Comment

Working...
                    X