Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.4.5 Brings Bug-Fixes

Phoronix: GCC 4.4.5 Brings Bug-Fixes

While GCC 4.5 has been around since this past April, if you are still living with GCC 4.4 for whatever reason (like being hit with a massive performance regression), you may be pleased to know that on this Sunday afternoon there is the GCC 4.4.5 release that's now available. GCC 4.4.5 was delayed a bit, but it's here and offers up bug-fixes but no major new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if you are still living with GCC 4.4 for whatever reason
    E.g. because you're using Ubuntu, because even Ubuntu 10.10 will still use GCC 4.4 by default.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      E.g. because you're using Ubuntu, because even Ubuntu 10.10 will still use GCC 4.4 by default.
      I don't think Ubuntu users (in general) care tbh. They just want a nice and easy preconfigured Linux OS.

It's the part of the Linux users that want to configure everything themselves that cares.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
        I don't think Ubuntu users (in general) care tbh. They just want a nice and easy preconfigured Linux OS.

It's the part of the Linux users that want to configure everything themselves that cares.
        Even on Ubuntu, you can configure everything the way you like. My 10.10 system has GCC4.5 on it, and I have recompiled some stuff (like the kernel) using it.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
          Even on Ubuntu, you can configure everything the way you like. My 10.10 system has GCC4.5 on it, and I have recompiled some stuff (like the kernel) using it.
          True, but that wasn't my point. My point was that Ubuntu users generally won't be interested wheter they have the latest GCC or not.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
            Are there any real advantages to building the kernel with gcc 4.5.x vs 4.4.x, I haven't been able to find anything apart from the problems that Mozilla had with it.

Comment

In more awesome news, GHC 7.0 hit RC

Comment

Working...
              X