Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Companies Now Backing Valkey As Leading Redis Fork

Phoronix: More Companies Now Backing Valkey As Leading Redis Fork

Announced back in March by the Linux Foundation was Valkey as a Redis fork following upstream licensing changes. In the few months since the Valkey in-memory NoSQL data store has put out its first release and has continued attracting more interest from Linux/open-source communities. Today the Linux Foundation announced another handful of organizations now throwing their weight behind Valkey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Feels like it's settled which one will take the lead. Will be switching soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
      Feels like it's settled which one will take the lead. Will be switching soon.
      Once the majority of the hyperscalers (who employ many of the staff who submitted fixes to Redis who were not directly employed by Redis itself) established their new governance model the path was pretty clear (and while the purists will not like it, the resources (money) directs the processes).

Comment

Kinda makes me wonder why would Redis do the license change. It was known that going non-free will cause a massive fork.

Comment

Huge foot gun by Redis.

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post
            Kinda makes me wonder why would Redis do the license change. It was known that going non-free will cause a massive fork.
            They were probably misjudging why MongoDB got away with it and didn't realize the answer was "fewer people care that much about MongoDB than you'd think".

Comment

Once there was this guy who made this operating system called Minix but it was proprietary software so then Linus swooped in and made Linux and released it as open source and became a huge superstar and now almost nobody has heard about Minix, nobody uses it, and nobody knows name of the guy who wrote it. It's gone and forgotten. Had that guy who made Minux made it open source he could have been someone.

Once there was this version control system called BitKeeper and it was actually used by the Linux kernel which is a huge boast but the guy or company who made just tried to control it and didn't like what other people were doing so he was being a jerk so then Linus made Git which became super huge and now everybody uses Git and nobody uses BitKeeper or even heard about it or the guy who made it.

It seems like Redis shot themselves in the foot and the same thing is happening here, Valkey is taking over and the community and all the big companies seem to back it. Soon Redis will be gone and forgotten.

I wonder if Solaris was a wasted opportunity too, and wonder what it would be today if it had been released under the GPL or the MIT License.

Recently Tiny released the JavaScript editor TinyMCE 7.0 which changed license from MIT to GPL. I wish OpenJS Foundation or some coalition of companies would work TinyMCE 6.8 which were under the MIT License and continue develop it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Once there was this guy who made this operating system called Minix
                sorry it been using in intel it is os of ME https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-...rating-system/
                and here is the source code of lates version https://git.minix3.org/index.cgi?p=minix.git

Once there was this version control system called BitKeeper
                if I rember correct it was not good version handle of source code, it did mess it up some time. so I do not miss it

I wonder if Solaris was a wasted opportunity too, and wonder what it would be today if it had been released under the GPL or the MIT License.
                it was open source from 2005 to 2010 by sun under OpenSolaris project​ but some did create a fork of it name OpenIndiana ( https://www.openindiana.org/ )

Last edited by GreatLord; 18 June 2024, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Recently Tiny released the JavaScript editor TinyMCE 7.0 which changed license from MIT to GPL. I wish OpenJS Foundation or some coalition of companies would work TinyMCE 6.8 which were under the MIT License and continue develop it.
                  What's wrong with TinyMCE 7 being GPL-2, isn't that the same licence the kernel uses? Why Linux is OK being GPL while Tiny has to be MIT?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLord View Post

sorry it been using in intel it is os of ME https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-...rating-system/
                    and here is the source code of lates version https://git.minix3.org/index.cgi?p=minix.git

if I rember correct it was not good version handle of source code, it did mess it up some time. so I do not miss it

it was open source from 2005 to 2010 by sun under OpenSolaris project​ but some did create a fork of it name OpenIndiana ( https://www.openindiana.org/ )

Yeah, it is obscurely used in some Intel ME thing, other than that, it is an obscure operating system that nobody really uses.

Yes, OpenSolaris was released as open source, I am aware of that, but it was under the CDDL license, which was nice that it was open source but at the same time I see it as a wasted opportunity and wonder what could have become of OpenSolaris had it been released under the GPL or the MIT license instead of the CDDL.

Originally posted by ireri View Post

What's wrong with TinyMCE 7 being GPL-2, isn't that the same licence the kernel uses? Why Linux is OK being GPL while Tiny has to be MIT?
                    Good question!

I like the GPL, it is a great license for the Linux kernel and for application software but TinyMCE is a library that you embed in other applications and since the GPL is a copy-left license you now cannot embed TinyMCE into any application without licensing the whole application under the GPL.

Comment

Working...
                    X